Carbon Fiber Skin for 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LarryJoe33, Jul 29, 2017.

1. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

Any recommendations on where to buy this for an older unibody?

2. treimche macrumors member

Have you tried icarbons.com? Not sure how far back they go, but I've had their skin on my 2012 MBP since new and its been perfect.

3. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I had a few brands and was not satisfied with them until I purchased one from a no-name seller on Amazon that claimed to use genuine 3M di-noc. The di-noc actually has texture to it and the classic colored CF di noc looked very real...especially after I put a clear plastic case over the MBP with the di noc vinyl to give it that glossy appearance that finished CF has. I checked and the product I bought is no longer for sale, but my guess is you can find others on places like Etsy.

Bonus point if you are a CF junkie...check out the Grip6 CF belt. It is the coolest thing I've purchased all year!

4. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

Thanks for the recommendations. Just looking for something cool to make my old MBP look a little different and maybe hide some scratches. I went with iCarbon. After much procrastination, I only purchased the top. Is this what most people generally do? I felt the inside keyboard/trackpad was over kill and probably would be tough to put on straight and will look crappy. The bottom, well it's the bottom.

5. treimche macrumors member

I did top and bottom. After 5 years of use, I have marks around the ports and edges of the laptop. In hindsight I kind of wish I would have done the side skin also. Looks like they're doing a 25% off (with code NEW) plus free side skin this weekend.

6. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

Cool, I re-ordered the Top and Bottom with free sides. At least I have the option of doing the bottom and sides. I know I definitely don't want the inside done. Mine is pretty banged up so just looking for a fresh look. Hope it's good quality and doesn't look cheap.

7. treimche macrumors member

The quality is great. I've had it on mine for over 5 years. Laptop goes with me to work every day, has been to a couple other countries, indoor, outdoor, etc. It has done its job very well.

8. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

IMG_1884.jpg IMG_1885.jpg IMG_1886.jpg IMG_1887.jpg Great call on iCarbon. I couldn’t be happier. Feels like I got a new MacBook. I did the front, sides and back. Contemplating the keyboard? I didn’t think I would do the sides (or the keyboard) but it’s great quality. I thought for sure I was going to hate the sides.

Thanks for pointing me to this.

9. treimche macrumors member

You're welcome! I never did install the keyboard piece on mine. Really wished I did the sides on it though as they are dinged up a bit. It will be interesting to see if the sides stay on for a long time or if they peel up after some use.

10. LarryJoe33, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017

LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

If it is any consolation, (not sure if my pics show) the sides don't cover the ports where you said you got some scratches over the years. They do protect the corners. I can see why they throw them in for free. Its a bunch of small pieces vs. a few really long ones. They do protect the corners. I have a pretty good dent on a corner and it's nice to see it covered up. You should know the sides cover the breathe light. I can live with that.

I'll think about the keyboard, it may be too much. I should have just ordered the complete kit and checked it out and/or removed it after if I hated it. I watched some youtube install videos and some had a red Apple stickers which created a silhouette. Wish I had that.