Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
EDIT@ read my last post here, will be returning.

First, EXTREMELY impressed with the hardness/rigidness of the case. After all this talk here about carbon not being hard or whatnot, this case seems alot more rigid than any of the others i have seen out there for the iphone over the last 4yrs, especially for a one piece snap on dealio..

1. Very tight fit, i would say its perfect, it took just enough pressure to snap it in, almost reaching that point where you would get worried, but yet no where near close to that point.

2. It will work with all screen protectors no doubt, it comes up maybe a 1/64th or close to where the glass actually starts around the perimeter.

3. Not happy with the fact i found 3-4 bubbles in the finish on the back, I doubt they would ship a product out like this so i am going to email them and ask if they can knock $25 off or I will return it and ask for an exchange. I figure with this heatwave around the country here, that may have had something to do with it. I think they are making them on demand or as the owner told me they have a bunch of orders in so its on the latter end of 2-5 days before they ship. I think the heat may have done since it may not have had enough time to fully cure after the finish was put on. Either way its not a dealbreaker, but I do want $25 back or an exchange for another one. For $80 a flaw in the finish was not even remotely on my mind as it was not expected in the least.

4. Carbon Fiber is pretty cool to look at, it kinda has this thing to it where when you look at it from different angles it moves, kinda wierd, almost like those 3d art pages when you move your head it kinda changes. Did not expect that at all.

5. Camera may suffer from this camera flash thing i have been hearing about, I will find out about it tonight when it gets dark out, what is the exact issue that is happening? The cut out is pretty close to the flash I will say that so i expect it to happen actually whatever it is you guys are saying happens.

Overall, I am happy(if i get the $25 or exchange). Immediately when i picked it up i knew it was a quality product. The guy i dealt with always emailed me back within a couple hours and answered my questions before and after the order. If scratches and stuff occur it can be polished and waxed to get rid of them since it has clearcoat on it :)
001-2-1.jpg

002-2-1.jpg

007-1-1.jpg

008-3-1.jpg

018-2-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

032-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

028-2-1.jpg

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Is there any possibility that you could make the pictures larger? Kinda hard to see them when they're that small :eek:

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
they are probably gonna tell you that bubbles and minor imperfections are inherant in products like this. Every other carbon fiber place has always said that when asked by people...unless they are a high quality place that does stuff for high end customers.

looks pretty good though

barachus

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
$80!? ok maybe because I am browsing from my phone all I see is that the pattern seems to match the sofa, I will check it out on a bigger screen

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
they are probably gonna tell you that bubbles and minor imperfections are inherant in products like this. Every other carbon fiber place has always said that when asked by people...unless they are a high quality place that does stuff for high end customers.

looks pretty good though

Ya i may think about it first, but I do alot of finish work also with urethanes and alike products, and bubbles can always be avoided when done correctly. Especially on smaller pieces, larger pieces its acceptable, but something as small as a phone case you have it right in front of you, not like other things that may range from hard wood floors to large scale models where the surface stretches out beyond whats in front of you.

owmygulay

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for the review and pics. It looks pretty thin. Does it feel like it ads much bulk to the phone? There was an expert in another thread that said carbon fiber is guaranteed to kill signal strength. Are there any issues with signal strength? It looks pretty good, and it kinda matches your couch. Do you think it provides any drop protection or is it still pretty vulnerable since it just snaps onto the back? Does it fit pretty snug? Thanks for all the info. I just might order one too.

hipvamore

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
CT
looks sick, idk about 80 bucks though. i feel like all these new cases around charge too much. this, grove, element....

bjamison01

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Thanks for the info.

One question - what about the inside of the case. Any protective rubber coating or pads to prevent scratching?

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Thanks for the info.

One question - what about the inside of the case. Any protective rubber coating or pads to prevent scratching?

No pads or rubber on the inside, it is clearcoated black with infinity logo. No scratching has taken place as i have taken the case off and on about 30 times so far!

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
After about 4 hours of total testing here over the last two days I have come to the conclusion the case drops my signal about one bar and sometimes two. I have been back and forth with the case on and off and it almost always drops a bar within seconds. After that it will hold there until I take the case off. Will be retiring, sadly it is the nicest iPhone case to ever appear and nothing will come close to it.

dvboy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Oh no......I just ordered one of these cases:( Not sure what to do,guess I will contact the seller and see what he has to say about the reception issue.

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I think it's terrible. I think my case is ugly too. Actually I think almost all cases are ugly! :D

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Oh no......I just ordered one of these cases:( Not sure what to do,guess I will contact the seller and see what he has to say about the reception issue.

Trust me other than that it is a great case. If your in a 4 to 5 bar area most of the time then I would say go for it. He also said the other case they offer the texalium or whatever is not carbon fiber but sprayed with an aluminum coating instead. Looks nice but silver is not my thing. He also said he has sold alot of these so far and mine is the only complaint and wanting to return it. Man all this talk of it makes me want to keep it!

I will definitely be purchasing one for next years iPhone!

dvboy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
I just communicated with a fellow from Infinity Carbon,he assured me this is an isolated case(pardon the pun).One thing I can say for sure,he stands by his product,very informative,and his communication is first rate.I will post a follow up when my case arrives:)

johnnybgood15

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2003
After about 4 hours of total testing here over the last two days I have come to the conclusion the case drops my signal about one bar and sometimes two. I have been back and forth with the case on and off and it almost always drops a bar within seconds. After that it will hold there until I take the case off. Will be retiring, sadly it is the nicest iPhone case to ever appear and nothing will come close to it.

Pretty avoidable if you searched the forum or YouTube to see that this was a known issue....oops!!

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Pretty avoidable if you searched the forum or YouTube to see that this was a known issue....oops!!

#1. It does not happen with every case and every phone that has carbon fiber. And the 90% of the reviews i read in general across multiple forums about real carbon fiber cases is that that 90% was happy with there case and had no issues at all.

#2. Whats it hurt to try? If it does not work you return it for a refund? Are you basing your comments you have made in a few threads off the same ONE youtube video?

#3. The signal drop was not DRASTIC at all and there were still many areas i would get 4 -5 bars in my traveling in the 2 days i had it, but most importantly it mattered most at my house for me, which there was on average it seemed to be a 1 bar drop. I did more testing and just decided I could not always have it in the back of my mind that "if i take my case off i may get better signal" Other than that i could live with a 1 bar drop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.