Carbonite file backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rich1803, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Rich1803 macrumors newbie

Is anyone using Carbonite to back up their files? If so, I would like to know if you think it is worth the annual charge. This is NOT a poll, just seeking user information.

2. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

+1, but if I'm getting a 1TB Time Capsule, would I really need to use an online backup?

3. Baccarat macrumors newbie

If your time capsule and Mac are both in your house/apartment/condo and it is robbed/floods/burns down, you lose both at the same time. Just ask Francis Ford Coppola who lost 15 years of work when his computer AND backup drives were stolen by armed thieves.

http://www.picturebusinessmag.com/blog/francis-ford-coppola-loses-computers-back-up-hard-drive-theft-79973.html

4. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

5. jive turkey macrumors 6502

Carbonite is fine with Leopard, but I believe they are still updating it to work with Snow Leopard (not sure why there is a difference, but apparently it is). Always good to have off-site backup, and Carbonite works well.

6. chscag macrumors 68000

MacWorld just did a review of on-line backup services. I believe Carbonite was not at the top of their list for several reasons. Read the review and draw you own conclusions.

You can accomplish the same thing by backing up to an external hard drive once a week or whenever, and then taking the drive to work with you and storing it there. SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner are excellent utilities for doing this.

Regards.