Carbonite Is Killing Me Now That I Have Mavericks!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Laisha, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Laisha macrumors member

Laisha

I never noticed that Carbonite was a resource hog until I got Mavericks.

But now, it routinely -- and without apparent cause -- times out so that if I run my mouse over the icon on the tray, I get the beachball. Forever.

Same if I open Carbonite in Preferences, where it apparently disables itself and refuses to allow me to change it back.

I've spent more hours on the phone with Carbonite Support -- usually Tier 2, but lately, Tier 3 -- who end up, after literally HOURS on the phone, uninstalling and reinstalling Carbonite.

I am far too old to waste precious hours talking to kids who remotely explore my machine and whose backup prescription is to uninstall their program.

It is CONSTANTLY my top CPU process, above 60% most of the time. At this moment, it's at 65% and the next most intensive program being Bean at 10%.

Can someone here please, please give me an idea of what I should do about this? Mozy sucked very badly for me, and I don't know what else to try.

I am on a 20-inch 2008 iMac with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo on Version 10.9.2 and 4GB SDRAM.

Thank anyone for any crumbs you can throw my way.

2. Fimeg macrumors regular

Have you considered an offline/local backup like Carbon Copy Cloner? Or do you need cloud storage?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd personally use an external drive and take your own backups, you are then in control of your data, and you can ensure the safety of said drives.

I backup to multiple external drives, one of which goes off site. Sounds like you're not getting your money's worth with Carbonite.

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

crashplan? i've been using it for several years, no problems.
    has been useful a few times, so for me, worth it. i never notice it running...

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

6. Laisha thread starter macrumors member

Laisha

Thank you all.

I am currently downloading the free trial of CrashPlanPro.

Bless you!

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan