Card for capturing BetacamSP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by WoOdPiPeS, Feb 13, 2008.

1. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

Hi there,
    I have to capture around 200 tapes recorded with a BetacamSP camera. The tape player I can get, it has BNC conectors (components) as the highest ouput quality.
    Would you recommend me a card brand for my MacPro? I've heard about BlackMagic Decklink SP... can I get the highest possible capturing quality with this card?

thanks in advance,

WP

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Any capture card capable of ingesting component analog or SDI video will be able to deliver the full quality of Beta SP into your edit system.

3. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for answering;
    basically I know two cards DeckLink SP by BlackMagic Design, or the KONA LS by AJA. This second is basically double price than the BlackMagic. Should I expect better quality on the expensive one? what should be the difference?

Thanks again,

WP

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, the Kona LH is a bit more flexible, considering it also supports ingesting of SDI as well as analog SD, whereas the BlackMagic DeckLink SP only supports analog input. So it could conceivably support more capture options in the future.

Other than that the two are pretty comparable, feature-wise, so it just comes down to which will be more stable/reliable in your system and whether you'll need the ability to capture SDI in the future.

5. WoOdPiPeS thread starter macrumors member

Yes, you're right. But, certanly, will not future for this card. It will be bought only for capturing the SP tapes. Then sold.

hey, thanks for your answers,

WP