Card hasn't been charged yet...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Whaletrain, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Whaletrain macrumors newbie

Hi guys so as you may or may not of read I posted in the "The "I just ordered / bought / got my new/refurb MBP" threads, merged" thread stating I had just bought my new Macbook Pro 13.3" Retina with upgraded RAM.

Since I am at University I was able to get around 14% knocked off the price, 3 years warranty and also a £60 gift card which I thought was a good deal. Unfortunately, I had to order via the phone as I wasn't on campus that particular day and I am finished for Summer.

Now, once I gave her my debit card over the phone I didn't really have time to check with her what the number was (for some reason I have a very short term memory and I doubt myself sometimes) and I am now worried in case she entered it wrong. Now after ordering, my available balance suddenly, and coincidentally, dropped by the amount I had paid (£1200) and I hadn't bought anything that day but after a few days that has since gone back up to the original amount it was beforehand, what does this mean? Was it some form of pre-authorisation or something?

Additionally, after the item had shipped (Saturday) I am quite worried as my card still hasn't been charged. When do Apple actually take the funds from your account, is it after you receive and have signed for the item? Does the coincidental £1,200 drop in my available funds and then the return to normal funds confirm that the correct card was entered?

I am that sort of person who really doubts themselves, like say my parents are away and I'm home alone and decide to go out, locking the door. I'll probably check the door about 10 times before I'm satisfied that yes it is locked. Or check my car is locked several times.

Thanks.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Most likely, yes, it was putting a hold on the funds or a preauthorization.

Your best bet is to call Apple and ask. They perform credit card transactions just like everyone else, nothing special is going on here.

3. Whaletrain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'll wait until I receive the laptop before I make any calls just in case. How long was it before your card was charged and funds taken?

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It's very common for companies to initially authorize the amount of the transaction, then remove the authorization before actually charging your card. I have seen transactions take anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

If your Mac has shipped, I wouldn't worry about it. They would't have shipped the machine out if you gave them the incorrect card number. Just make sure you don't spend that money because they will eventually draft it from your account:)