Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
Unless this is accessible from the Contacts tab in the Phone app, it will flop.
Agree. While the contacts app is basic, the integration makes these third party apps more difficult to use. This, seems like a key advantage to Android.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Agree. While the contacts app is basic, the integration makes these third party apps more difficult to use. This, seems like a key advantage to Android.

I initially thought that too but realised you can use it just like you would the contacts app. It There's nothing you can't do with this that you could with the contacts app as far as I can tell and it's got more options that makes life easier.

In fact I replaced the phone app (which essentially is a mirror of the contacts list) on my dock with Cardhop and whenever I choose a contact or simply dial a number it just dials the number as it would normally from your contacts list.

4bjYXAVZmG4N.jpg

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Both my wife and I have Google accounts (hers a vanilla one, mine a Google Apps for Your Domain legacy one) and I would love to find a system where we could share contacts. She makes an update on an address on her end, it syncs with my phone/iPad/computer AND my Google account on my end. Does this software do that? know of any that does?

Full Contact, a subscription service, would let you do that.

Reactions: tobefirst ⚽️

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany

Not just that, but all of the third party app integration (Telegram, WhatsApp, Messenger etc.) is pointless right now. Since it can't tell which service my contacts are using, it lists all of them and that's a bit of a mess.

If it motivates Apple to allow 3rd party contacts apps, then great. But right now it's a nice idea but that's about it.

LastStarfighter

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
UK
I initially thought that too but realised you can use it just like you would the contacts app. It There's nothing you can't do with this that you could with the contacts app as far as I can tell and it's got more options that makes life easier.

In fact I replaced the phone app (which essentially is a mirror of the contacts list) on my dock with Cardhop and whenever I choose a contact or simply dial a number it just dials the number as it would normally from your contacts list.

4bjYXAVZmG4N.jpg
One drawback I'm seeing compared to contacts is that it doesn't seem to recognise Dual-SIM. I use Dual-SIM on my XR and in Contacts you can specify which line you want to use to call each contact. As I use one as a personal line and one for my business line that's a bit of a pain. I have to use my regular contacts for dialing.

Hopefully something for a future version.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
For the sake of £3.99, I purchased it. It's very good, looks nice and performs well. I've replaced the normal phone app icon on my dock with this. I notice that if I want to dial a number but there is no contact in my list I simple just type 'Dial 07675 111111' - It will then open the normal phone app and dial as usual so you have access to the number keypad in case you need to navigate a bunch of options to get through to the right dept!

Why don’t you use Siri? Wouldn’t she be, much, faster?

I have never dial anything by typing, in Phone app or wherever, for a very long time.

LastStarfighter

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
UK
I heard back from the developer. Apparently there is no API available to developers currently for access to the Dual-SIM technology on iPhone.

Unless that changes the app won't be able to dial on anything other than the default line.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Why don’t you use Siri? Wouldn’t she be, much, faster?

I have never dial anything by typing, in Phone app or wherever, for a very long time.

It's a good point, I never think to use Siri when dialing a number!
[doublepost=1553787810][/doublepost]
I heard back from the developer. Apparently there is no API available to developers currently for access to the Dual-SIM technology on iPhone.

Unless that changes the app won't be able to dial on anything other than the default line.

The dual sim thing never occurred to me. How are you finding that works for you? I presume you must be with EE, are they any good?

I emailed Flexbits about being able to save more than one business card, so you could just say ask Siri to show business card or personal card. Again no promises but they will think about it.

LastStarfighter

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
UK
It's a good point, I never think to use Siri when dialing a number!
[doublepost=1553787810][/doublepost]

The dual sim thing never occurred to me. How are you finding that works for you? I presume you must be with EE, are they any good?

Dual-SIM is fantastic. I travel internationally with work so I have a personal EE e-SIM set up on the phone and then a work Vodafone SIM in the phone. You can set one for your default line for outbound calls and one for your default for data. I use my personal line as my default for voice calls and my work Vodafone SIM as the default one for data. You can only use one at a time for iMessage so I have my personal number for iMessage. This does mean when traveling to the US and Canada I don't have to pay any more for data via EE to keep using iMessage and all my apps on my phone as it just uses my work data plan.

It's great having just one phone for traveling. I went with the XR for additional battery life and together with the Smart Battery Case you can just keep going for any heavy travel days with overnight flights and using your phone as a mobile hotspot where you don't have Airport Wifi available.

You can even have Wifi calling on one of the SIMs but not the other. I have Wifi calling turned on for the Vodafone SIM due to the poorer coverage in some areas and standard cellular for EE.

The one huge thing I wish they'd implimented though would be to allow you to specify different default ringtones for each SIM. As it is I have to have a contact for everyone who calls me regarding work and specify a ringtone for them each if I want different ringtones based on which line is being called. You also can specify by contact which line to always use for calls.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Dual-SIM is fantastic. I travel internationally with work so I have a personal EE e-SIM set up on the phone and then a work Vodafone SIM in the phone. You can set one for your default line for outbound calls and one for your default for data. I use my personal line as my default for voice calls and my work Vodafone SIM as the default one for data. You can only use one at a time for iMessage so I have my personal number for iMessage. This does mean when traveling to the US and Canada I don't have to pay any more for data via EE to keep using iMessage and all my apps on my phone as it just uses my work data plan.

It's great having just one phone for traveling. I went with the XR for additional battery life and together with the Smart Battery Case you can just keep going for any heavy travel days with overnight flights and using your phone as a mobile hotspot where you don't have Airport Wifi available.

You can even have Wifi calling on one of the SIMs but not the other. I have Wifi calling turned on for the Vodafone SIM due to the poorer coverage in some areas and standard cellular for EE.

The one huge thing I wish they'd implimented though would be to allow you to specify different default ringtones for each SIM. As it is I have to have a contact for everyone who calls me regarding work and specify a ringtone for them each if I want different ringtones based on which line is being called. You also can specify by contact which line to always use for calls.

Sounds good. Shame it can only handle iMessage with one number as I often get texts on my work mobile but definitely need to receive personal messages!

I like the idea but I'd really like to be able to dial out on the preferred number (business/personal) depending on who I was calling so the recipient sees the correct number the other end.

LastStarfighter

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
UK
You can still do normal sms messages on the non iMessage line. They just don’t have the blue iMessage features

You can choose which number to dial out from at any point. (Other than with 3rd party apps like this currently)

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
You can still do normal sms messages on the non iMessage line. They just don’t have the blue iMessage features

You can choose which number to dial out from at any point. (Other than with 3rd party apps like this currently)

Oh right, that seems reasonable. Something for me to think about when I next replace my device. I had to buy some XRs for work and was surprised just how good those devices are. Having used one for a bit I don't think I'd bother going for the more expenses iPhones (like my X at £1249!!), they just don't seem to be worth the extra cost.

LastStarfighter

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
UK
I’ve been a mobile device user since the early Palm handhelds and I always have thought that the most important aspect of any mobile device is that it stays mobile, i.e. good battery life.

I agonised between the XS and the XR for a while before deciding to go for the battery life option. Upgrading from an iPhone 7 I’ve not been disappointed, other than not being able to set individual default ringtones for each incoming line and I’m still looking for the perfect wireless charging solution for my car.

I thought I’d hate faceid but it’s so much better than touchid...

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I’ve been a mobile device user since the early Palm handhelds and I always have thought that the most important aspect of any mobile device is that it stays mobile, i.e. good battery life.

I agonised between the XS and the XR for a while before deciding to go for the battery life option. Upgrading from an iPhone 7 I’ve not been disappointed, other than not being able to set individual default ringtones for each incoming line and I’m still looking for the perfect wireless charging solution for my car.

I thought I’d hate faceid but it’s so much better than touchid...

Welcome to the FaceID club. You're right, it's so much better than TouchID and completely intuitive to flick up to unlock your device. Everytime I have to use my passed down iPhone 6 with a button, it just feels strange. The vast majority of people who complain about how rubbish FaceID is are the ones who have never used it for any length of time.

I agree, battery life is massively important for many. I do find that charging my X though is much faster than it used to be with older devices.

I also remember hooking up my palm pilot to my mobile when I was on a train to Nice thinking, I can't believe no one has cracked this email thing on devices yet!

LastStarfighter

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
UK
Welcome to the FaceID club. You're right, it's so much better than TouchID and completely intuitive to flick up to unlock your device.

I agree, battery life is massively important for many. I do find that charging my X though is much faster than it used to be with older devices.

Being able to unlock your phone when it's cold and I'm wearing touchscreen gloves is the killer application for FaceID. Before this I'd have to either type in the PIN or take a glove off! Sitting on a freezing cold train platform in Cologne waiting for the train back to the airport, or out hiking in the cold up a mountain or hill, makes me appreciate that kind of thing.

I've invested in all the new charging technologies to speed charging up since being able to with the XR, wireless, USB-PD bedisde and car chargers. Very nice to have fast charging. I just can't find a way to get wireless charging integrated into my car (current model Jeep Grand Cherokee) that's slick enough to where I'm happy with it. I don't like vent mount phone holders, even if they do auto open and close mechanically, and the only flat surface I can find that's big enough to fit a flat charger to hold the XR in place is the dashboard which just seems weird so I still just cable charge in the car. At least until I can find that one perfect wireless option for it.

Honestly though in a normal day, with charging when I'm in the car, the XR's battery doesn't get low enough to where USB-PD charging really has full effect. Usually down to the 80s at the lowest point of the day and it charges back to 100% on my drive home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrjy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.