Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Within an hour or so of upgrading to 10.1 from 10.0.1 i got messages from the two card suppliers I had set up on Apple Pay saying "your card has successfully been removed from Apple Pay"

Needless to say I didn't knowingly ask for this, i didn't even use the phone between upgrading and the removals.

I'll try adding the cards again shortly but does anyone know why this happened? Did i miss something in the upgrade process or is it a bug?

TIA

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It's been a week since I did that, but I'm pretty sure I had the same thing happen, and I don't think I missed anything. It's obviously a little annoying to have to reenter the cards (pics don't always work) and go through the confirmation process. Someone at Apple goofed on that, I think - unless there's some security bug in 10.0.x that had to be fixed.

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Did you inadvertently get logged out if iCloud or clear your passcode? Those actions will remove all your cards from  Pay.

Re-adding your cards can be a huge pain, especially with American Express cards. Trying to re-add an Amex card to  Pay frequently triggers a security alert — it has happened to me twice now — and you must call in and speak with an agent to get it resolved. The last time it happened I had to call in no fewer than four times. (Amex will block all your cards from being re-added to  Pay, even when they are being added back to the same device. Even if you request that the blocks be cleared from all your cards, many agents do not do it correctly, and you end up having to call back for each card.)

To make an already frustrating experience worse, some agents are downright rude and treat you like a criminal when you’re just trying to add your card to  Pay.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Another question. Did you upgrade to 10.1, or did you restore to 10.1?

Since you didn't mention how you did the upgrade, if you restore to 10.1, the cards should not be saved in your backup when you upgrade through iTunes. I saw that the first 3 times I did that, though it wasn't a problem for me to re-enter them in. However, if you upgrade to 10.1, they should still be there.

BL.

Reactions: verdi1987

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
I upgraded direct over the air.

To make it even wierder, when i went into wallet this afternoon to renable my cards they were there already as if they had never been removed, with a message along the lines of "Your xxxx card is now ready for use" !! One is an Amex so I look forward (not) to a conversation should I need to add it again.

I'll try to use it tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks to all

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I upgraded direct over the air.

To make it even wierder, when i went into wallet this afternoon to renable my cards they were there already as if they had never been removed, with a message along the lines of "Your xxxx card is now ready for use" !! One is an Amex so I look forward (not) to a conversation should I need to add it again.

I'll try to use it tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks to all

That is interesting. I've done the following on my 6s:

9.0 -> 9.0.2: Restore. Had to add my cards to Wallet.
9.0.2 -> 9.1: Restore. Had to add my cards to Wallet.
9.1 -> 9.2: Restore. Had to add my cards to Wallet.
9.2 -> 9.3: Restore. Had to add my cards to Wallet.
9.3 -> 9.3.1: Restore. Had to add my cards to Wallet.
9.3.1 -> 9.3.2: Restore. Had to add my cards to Wallet.
9.3.2 -> 9.3.3: Upgrade. All my cards were there.
9.3.3 -> 9.3.4: Upgrade. All my cards were there.
9.3.4 -> 9.3.5: Upgrade. All my cards were there.
9.3.5 -> 10.0: Upgrade. All my cards were there.
10.0 -> 10.0.1: Upgrade. All my cards were there.
10.0.1 -> 10.1.0: Upgrade. All my cards were there.
10.1.0 -> 10.1.1: Upgrade. All my cards were there.

Again, I do not use OTA updates on my phone, as I pull down the IPSW to my mac and upgrade it from that download.

BL.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
I've never had this problem with OTA upgrades for Apple Pay, but something similar happened today when I loaded the 10.2 beta. I got an email from google acting like I'd set up one of my email accounts from scratch. So, something may be going on with device IDs perhaps?

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Got the chance to use it today.
So, despite having had a "You've switched off Apple Pay" message from my bank, and without adding the card back, I used Apple Pay today and it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.