Care Needed when Using Google Earth on IPad??

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Clavdivs, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Clavdivs macrumors newbie

I used Google Eartb for first time yesterday and realised no process involved in logging out.

Now my wifi monitor shows I have used up nearly 1gb of data. No way otherwise yesterday!

Is it a coincidence?? Should I have consciously closed down that app with the usual swipe action? I can't think otherwise how ?I could have consumed so much.

Any tips on logging in/ out of graphic intense apps would be appreciated.

2. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Google Earth isn't an incredibly data intensive app (much less so than youtube or netflix or something like that). Additionally, except for a few special cases, iOS doesn't allow any apps to run in the background for more than 10 minutes, so even if Google Earth was doing something in the background it wouldn't have been running all night.

You can see how much cellular data each app is using by going to Settings, then Cellular, then scrolling down and looking at the numbers under each app. The numbers are cumulative from whenever they are manually reset, so if you've never reset them, then it might difficult to see what used a lot of data last night, but since you just installed Google Earth you should probably be able to rule it out or rule it in.

I'd suggest resetting the statistics after you go in and check out the number for google earth, so that way if your data usage continues to climb you'll be able to see what's using it.