Career Conundrum

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SwiftLives, Mar 5, 2008.

  1. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

    SwiftLives

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2001
    Location:
    Charleston, SC
    #1
    So here's my dilemma...

    Two Jobs.

    Company A has a Graphic Designer position open. It's a very well-respected company and is offering a salary on par with similar positions. The company is also a fairly tough nut to crack into - meaning that they think pretty highly of me to have offered me the job. It's not a dealbreaker, but it is a concern that Company A is Windows-based - even the designers.

    Company B has a job opening which I am perfect for. The job description is for an Art Director, and it's exactly what I used to do at a previous job. Company B is a publication, and I very much want to get back into publication design. I know two people who are now there pretty well from said previous job.

    Company A has extended a job offer to me - one that I would be happy with.
    Company B has not closed the application window yet, so I am yet to receive an interview. Not sure of the salary range, but I expect it would be comparable to Company A...if not insignificantly more.

    Company A wants a decision by Thursday. I can probably put them off until Friday.

    I want to at least talk to Company B before I make a decision.

    I think I'm worried that I'd be accepting the job from Company A out of desperation. (Been applying for jobs since November). I definitely have an 'in' at Company B, and there's a decent chance I could get the job...but it is certainly not a guarantee.

    Do I pass up a great opportunity to possibly get back into publication design? Or do I take the job that's currently being offered?

    Thanks.
     
  2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

    brn2ski00

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    #2
    I don't know what your current financial situation is, but a sure thing is always a good thing. It sounds like 'A' is very interested in you and that you would be well respected there. This means a lot when going into a new place.

    But do what your heart tells you. If the money is not an issue, choose the place that makes you the happiest. But be advised, the early bird gets the worm! Don't let a great opportunity pass you by.
     
  3. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

    mgargan1

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    Reston, VA
    #3
    I'm going through the same exact thing right now. One of the pieces of advice i got was, you can always accept the offer, but negotiate a start time. Then, if company b sends you an offer, you'd be able to "change your mind"...
     
  4. jecapaga macrumors 601

    jecapaga

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Location:
    Southern California
    #4
    Accept offer 'A' and proceed with 'B' in the background. Most companies would not blink twice to drop you if it's in their best interest so you should remember that if you're feeling guilty about dropping 'A' if 'B' pans out. More importantly, any design firm using strictly PC's is disturbing and not forward thinking in my opinion. That right there is almost a deal breaker for me.
     
  5. SwiftLives thread starter macrumors 65816

    SwiftLives

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2001
    Location:
    Charleston, SC
    #5
    It's looking like I'm going to accept the offer from company A.

    Even with their Windowsness.

    After all, as much as I prefer and tout the superiority of the Mac operating system, a computer is just a tool. It's the equivalent of using a different brand of hammer to build a house. (Of course, one of those hammers may decide to randomly explode at any given time...)

    The problem I'm having is that I absolutely cannot for the life of me make contact with the folks at Company B. Which is telling me pretty much exactly what I needed to know.
     

Share This Page