Carrier Careful AT&T About to Double Charge Customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ggibson913, Apr 18, 2018.

1. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Just got a notice that AT&T will be changing my auto pay date from two days before the bill is due to two days after the bill is presented. This means in my case for the month of June, they are gonna hit me up for my full wireless bill at the end of May then again at the beginning of June

2. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Are you sure this scenario isn't just specific to you?

I foresee SIGNIFICANT backlash if they are doing this to all of their customers.

3. ggibson913 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Sorry forgot the link ATT.com/autopaycc . The rub is that this is obviously a quick easy way for them to make a cash grab. For a one month period they get two payments. Oh forgot to mention that they say I can keep my current date if I supply them with my Debit Card number or Checking account number which I think wisely, I don't let any other company but my bank have.

4. Pspressart macrumors regular

They are not double charging you. They are taking the payment much sooner after the bill comes due. You still end up paying the same amount.

5. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I’m considering opting in for auto-pay for the $10/month discount. These are exactly the type of shenanigans that make me hesitant to do so. It’s technically not double charging, but still not cool.

6. chabig macrumors 603

No big deal to me. They can only do it once.

7. fred98tj macrumors 6502

Yes, it’s not double charging you. What’s the big deal?

8. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

Some people keep a pretty tight budget, so $200(what I pay monthly)leaving your bank account when you hadn’t counted on it could be a big deal.

...and yes, if you can’t easily afford it, you probably shouldn’t set yourself up like this...

9. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Many prepaid services charge every 30 days, rather than once a month. That has caused some issues for some people because it can result in 2 charges in one calendar month. Also, if someone has things scheduled so a payment is done AFTER a paycheck or monthly deposit, this can result in it being debited before the money is deposited.

Ideally, people will keep enough money in their checking account so a couple hundred dollars don't cause issues. But in the real world...

A workaround is to manually charge it (or all but a couple dollars) to a credit card before the autopay. If there is no balance being carried on the credit card, the credit card can be paid later on schedule.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I refuse to leave my credit/debit card with companies. Next they will get hacked and not even tell you till months later.

11. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Moving auto pay date for people using a credit card. NOT “double charging”. Could some people get 2 bills on one credit card statement for one month? Sure. But at the end of the day, you’re still only getting billed 12 times for the year.
    Deceptive thread title.

12. ggibson913 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

True but still getting billed twice in the same period.

13. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

That's interesting they changed your billing date, I'll have to check mine as well. I know what you're saying here, not a double charge itself but 2 charges in a short period of time due to a change in dating. So your bank account is hit twice.

14. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I have AT&T and got the same notice, and it didn't really bother me.
    I am on auto pay to a credit card, which means it will just change the date it hits my card and isn't really a big deal. As stated with others, if it were coming out of a checking account and it came before a payday meant to cover it, yeah, that's not cool, but they do give you other options. And if you are really bothered, you can just manually set up a reminder to electronically pay when you want.

This isn't unusual, other companies make changes internally and move to reconcile billing and receiving. I have had dates changed with other payments as well. Just something you are aware of, and you adjust and move on. It isn't double dipping as it evens out.

15. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

I was in this story b4 this way they will have 13 bill in one year, if they will do it again I will just move my account

16. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

You’re still only being charged for what you owe. They’re not mysteriously charging more than what your monthly service costs.

I really don’t understand the outrage.
    If you don’t like what they’re doing, you’ve got at least 3 choices.
    1. Change your auto pay to debit card. Payment day stays the same as now.
    2. Change your auto pay to directly from your bank account. Payment day stays the same as now.
    3. Don’t auto pay. Pay it yourself.

17. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Thinking Uber, Orbitz, TJX, Heartland, Ebay, Target, Home Depot, Wells Fargo, etc... I would say you are spot on with that thought.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

And these are just the one who we know about!:(

19. rui no onna, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Wonder why they're changing the policy specifically for credit cards. Too many chargebacks?

Anyway, it's just one CC billing cycle with double charges. I'd still rather use my CC (better protection plus extended warranty for mobile phone) than give AT&T my debit card/bank account.

Edit: Thinking about it, this actually doesn't change anything for me. The previous charge date was almost at my CC's closing date. AT&T's new charge date would just be near the beginning of the new CC billing cycle.

20. AttilaTheHun macrumors 65816

AttilaTheHun

that what I did no autopay.

21. bevsb2 macrumors 68000

Maybe to encourage some people to switch from autopay with a credit card to autopay with a debit card or their bank instead in order for them (AT&T) to save money.