careful when picking up the Uni MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by philamac, Jan 13, 2009.

1. philamac macrumors regular

Ok, just a warning to all my fellow Unibody MBP people.

When you close the lid, and pick up your MBP, give it time to shutdown everything, especially the fans.

Why? Because it seems the notebook is not as rigid in the mid rear as it is everywhere else. When I picked it up there, the chassis flexed a little, and I heard the fans scrape against something... probably not good for it.

So anyway, try not to pick it up from the mid-rear, and try to let it shut down all the components before you pick it up. Pretty obvious, but the thought has escaped me more than twice now.

2. oc2pus macrumors member

Thanks for making us aware of that.
    I noticed that my unibody MBP takes a lot longer to go to sleep-mode than my MB did, so picking it up takes a bit longer, as I don't really want to rely too heavily on the sudden motion sensor.

3. stevo8 macrumors 6502

4. vkt macrumors newbie

Good tip. This is good practice with even older MBPs as well. You should wait until the harddrive spins down before picking the machine up and packing it into your bag. ;)

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

There is no need to guess and check as far as sleep is concerned. The LED on the front of the machine will shine at full intensity when the machine is on and will pulsate (aka "breathe") when the machine is asleep.

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

This just disproves how some people think that the unibody is "stronger." One piece designs are more subject to flex or deflection. Now, if they made two bodies very thin and laminated them together you would have much more rigid set up. Kinda funny how two or more pieces put together is stronger than one piece of the same thickness.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

Also, watch out for how slippery it is. I came from a black macbook which I would grab and go, but I'm trying to break that habit with my new MBP because not only do I have to adjust for the weight difference, but it's also pretty slippery.

8. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I could be wrong, but I think the OP was talking about the black plastic piece on the back of the MBP.

9. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

I use Smart Sleep to make my new MBP sleep immediately after closing the lid, like the older Powerbooks used to. The new ones have a feature whereby the entire contents of the RAM is written to the HD each time you close the lid. I disabled this feature as I make sure that I save my work before closing the lid anyway. You can have it write to disk if the battery is less than a certain percentage that you can specify as well.

http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

--mAc

10. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You know, that doesn't require an application. Just type this into Terminal:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

O, gotcha. Well none the less, still sucks. lol