Careful with AT&T refurbs...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by war eagle, Dec 30, 2010.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Well, as some of you may know I purchased a refurb iPhone 4 16 gb from AT&T on Tuesday. It arrived today and while it appeared to be in amazing condition it would later be proven that it is far from it.

I set up the phone and of course AT&T sent me a sim card with the WRONG number on it.. So, before realizing that I did a couple test calls with Skype and tango and they worked as expected.

The problem would be when I tried to make an actual call. I cut my sim from my Blackberry Torch and stuck it in the iPhone and it worked gave me full signal and all. Sent a couple text just fine but when making or receiving a call the speaker didn't work. The only way I could hear was if I turned the speaker phone one, thinking it was the sim, I put the old one back in and restored and it did not justice.

Made an appointment for the genius bar almost immediately, went in and had to have the phone replaced - luckily with no hassles whatsoever.

But it is now apparent to me that AT&T just takes returns and if they look good they just repackage them and send them back out. I'll be calling AT&T tomorrow and speaking with them about this inconvenience but everyone else beware. Trying to save a few bucks you may end up spending those same bucks you saved gassing up the car and driving to a crowded Apple store.

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's how refurbished products are some of the time. I returned a product to Best Buy the other day, and instead of scanning the barcode and giving me my money back, they actually went on to test the device for 5 minutes before processing the return. In the process, they teared off the packaging that I carefully put back on, and jammed the memory card in the wrong way. When they saw the screen turn on, they hastily repackaged the product in a pretty poor manner and sealed it in the box, which made it seem they would put it out on the shelf.

Although a lot of people here would say their refurbished products from Apple stores look new or nearly new. I can agree with that, and say the same with dell parts. At&t on the other hand, might not follow the same procedures.

3. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

One good thing about all this- the Apple refurb had 4.1 on it so I can get an untethered jailbreak.

4. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Not to sound snarky...but Apple not AT&T or BestBuy refurbishes iPhones...all iphones are "refurbished" by Apple...they are distributed for resale by Apple to the contracted retailer

5. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

No. Att refurbs are just phones that people return within their 30 day return period that are re-packaged. They arent even really refurbs because they dont do anything but put them in a new box.

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Warning. Att refurb. iPhones only carry what ever remaining warranty is left from original activation

So if refurb iPhone u purchased was first put into use in June, u basically only have 6 more months of warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer.

So you will not get the full 12 month warranty like normal apple refurbs you would buy from apple directly.

I know this for a fact since I tried to reset warranty on an old iPhone 3G which I had for refurb price almost 2 years ago an I was out 5 months of warranty since apple stated they do not reset AT&T refurb iPhone warranty even when o faxed them the receipt. Crazy.

Just a warning about warranty and AT&T iPhone refurb.

7. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can live with the warranty i got. Got thru december 9 next year and i'll probably have the new iPhone by then.

8. bikedogrun macrumors member

bikedogrun

How does one find out how many months of warranty are left on a newly purchased AT&T iphone4 refurb?

Not on the paperwork or the box???

9. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

i'd rather just save up and buy new to avoid any possible issues.

10. DLyman macrumors member

You can check it here.

11. bikedogrun macrumors member

bikedogrun

That worked great, thanks!

/BD :cool:

12. sdpics macrumors member

Could not have timed it better.....

Attached Files: