Cargo shorts are ...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iShater, Aug 4, 2016.

?

Cargo shorts are ...

1. Awesome! Do not take mine!

38 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. Bleh! Get rid of them NOW!

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. What are cargo shorts?

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. I could care less.

12 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

In light of this article

My wife has a habit of getting rid of things like that. o_O

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I like them. They are obviously comfortable. As long as they are not hanging with the waist around your crotch, they're fine.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I dislike them, but I really couldn't care less if someone else is wearing them.

4. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I wear them all the time. When I was a stay at home father they were invaluable any time I left the house with the kids for a quick jaunt.

5. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

The option that you care but just not enough to actually vote/comment?

7. chown33 macrumors 604

Needs a "Meh" / "I'm ambivalent" option.

[​IMG]

8. Scepticalscribe, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Cargo shorts should be worn by those on whom they look good.

And not everyone is blessed with limbs that flatter these garments.

As someone who prizes comfort over style, but who still likes some style, there comes a point, that point where style is sacrificed entirely to comfort, where some small questions (of yourself) might be in order.

So, another suggestion for inclusion in the poll: Only if you think they suit you.

A ps: What does this strange expression 'I could care less' mean?

In our wet and windy isles, the expression we use which sounds similar is: "I couldn't care less." Do they mean the same thing?

9. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

No, the "I could care less" is generally a mistyped/misspoken/misunderstood "I couldn't care less."

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Generally not a fan. If you like them, wear them. I could go without seeing jorts though.

11. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I love my jorts too.

I wear what I feel is comfortable and screw what anyone else thinks of my fashion. I am also usually in flip-flops and wear printed tees. I get the fashion hatred from everyone. Don't care... it's comfortable. If women can wear yoga pants all the time because "they're comfortable," then you better believe I am gonna wear what I want because, "they're comfortable."

12. Zenithal macrumors 68040

The only time I've ever worn cargo shorts were when camping and fishing. Because you can stick a lot of bait in bags in your pockets. I haven't seen jorts worn by anyone since the late 90s, and am quite thankful for that. That was an 80s theme that should have stayed in the 80s.

The last time I went fishing, I was able to keep 2 lb of jerky style bait for fishing purposes, 2 pairs of needle nose pliers, fishing licensed, hooks in a closed plastic box, fishing line to swap out, a couple protein bars, and a waterproof rugged case for my phone. Essentially Santa Man.

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Like I said if you like them, wear them. I don't care what people think either.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What have women - and yoga pants - to do with a man choosing to wear cargo shorts?

15. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Comfortablility (is that even a word?). Not sure how it is over the pond, but here in northern California, women wear yoga pants all the time. I know some women that have 20 pairs of yoga pants and no other types of pants, just dresses. And they just say it's because they are comfortable. If they can make a fashion out of those because they are comfortable, I can make a fashion out of cargo shorts and jorts cause they are comfortable.

16. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I work in a lot of hot climates, the shorts are handy.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My only surprise is that you refer to women as worth emulating when citing 'comfort' as a reason to wear a garment.

In my experience, - and I write as someone - a woman - who has a huge respect for well crafted and stylish comfort in garments not least because women are far more policed in what they wear, and are 'allowed' to wear - than men are, and a great many of the garments available to women (not ones I wear myself) resemble - in terms of comfort - devices last seen in medieval torture chambers.

18. ThisBougieLife, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016

ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

No thanks. I don't care for cargo shorts. I don't like shorts that go below the knee and especially shorts that are bulky and have extra pockets I don't need.

I prefer to wear "prep-cut" shorts; they're above the knee, thinner around the thighs, and don't have those ugly-looking pockets. Shorts like these are mostly what I wear: https://anf.scene7.com/is/image/anf/hol_89164_01_model1?$product-ofp-hol-v1$

I don't like any clothes that are "baggy", actually. Skinny and form-fitting is where it's at :D

19. A.Goldberg, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Absolutely not. Get rid of them. The only thing worse than cargo shorts are cargo pants. Unless you're Napoleon Dynamite and need to keep tater tots in your pockets there is no excuse :D

Seriously though, they're not fashionable. My mom made my dad get rid of his a couple years ago. Earlier this year I saw some forsale at JCrew and was shocked.

Or I could give you the PC answer "wear whatever you find comfortable" .... Just don't expect to be fashionable.

Things never to buy...
    - Cargo shorts
    - Cargo pants
    - Pants that zip off into shorts (especially with cargo pockets)
    - Camoflauge pattern pants
    - Elastic Waistband shorts/pants/jeans (unless they're athletic of course)
    - Jean shorts (unless you're a hipster, but not those elastic waistband cargo Jorts [Jean shorts])
    - If you insist on cargo shorts, don't get them in plaid

Plaid shorts I would say are also out of style, madras you can get away with

Stick with khaki/flat front/Bermuda shorts. No more than 9" inseam (just down to your knee)

20. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Cargo shorts = Meh. Okay. Can take them or leave them, even though I have a couple pair.
    Jorts? Used to live in them, now would not be caught dead in them.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why is it PC to simply let people decide for themselves what they wear?

22. oldmacs macrumors 68040

Who cares? they're comfortable and practical. What are we meant to wear in summer?

23. Zenithal macrumors 68040

People are more easily offended these days. Shame really.

24. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

How are cargo shorts any more or less comfortable then a pair of non cargo shorts? :D :p

I would suggest cargo shorts would be less comfortable due to "fashion hatred"
    --- Post Merged, Aug 4, 2016 ---
    Telling someone their clothes are out of style would hurt their feelings.

See my post questioning the difference in comfort between cargo shorts and non-cargo shorts.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why would someone need to tell them? I mean unless they are asking about it, in which case they should certainly be ready for different takes on it.