Caring for and repairing composite back

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Germwise, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Germwise macrumors regular

Lots of stories out there about scratches on compressor back of aluminum watches. I preordered a series one on launch day and want to be forward looking.

1- caring/ maintenance- it seems that the scratches form from the contract with the charging puck. Had anyone thought about covering the puck in lens cleaning cloth to avoid scratches? I've seen videos of gluing clothes on the pucks but in think the glue is a mistake.

2- if/when you develop scratches, can you clear then by polishing the composite with tooth paste? What about willing the back with acetone? Car wax?

Please share your experiences! Also if you have a first gen and you want to try to fix the scratches, please report!

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

1. I'll bet the main cause is dirt, usually on the back of the watch, being ground into the composite by the puck. A thin cloth sounds like a good idea. I'd also recommend wiping off the back of the watch before putting it on the puck.

2. Toothpaste is about as harsh as I would go. No acetone (might be bad for the adhesive holding the back to the case). Car wax? Maybe; they also sell a polishing compound for restoring car headlight lenses.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If it's the damage I am thinking I've seen it looks similar to what is happening to some folks 6s series phones. The annoidzation seems to be coming off. It's been hyoothsized that it isnoiksnfrom skin and sweat; would make sense for the Watch too.

That puck seems to only really touch the sensor so unless I'm misunderstanding the question I don't imagine that's actively scratching things.

4. DragonPrime120 macrumors member

DragonPrime120

It looks like on the Series 2 watches that the back has been switched to Ceramic, seems like Apple realized how easily the composite got scratched. Maybe they made that change on the Series 1 revisions?

5. Germwise thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. Only series 2. Only thing that was tempting me.