Caring for your MBP (late 2008)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Buzz Law, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Buzz Law macrumors newbie

I recently picked up the unibody Macbook Pro. Being a fool mixed with wanting to show off the gorgeous nakedness of the machine - resulted in me bypassing any thoughts of a sleeve for this sleek computer.

Since then, I have a small soup stain just to the left outside of the trackpad which seems to be a hardened water stain - which can be seen and felt. Also, I've noticed its quite easy to acquire grease marks on the black keys.

Are there any techniques I can use to clean stains off of the brushed aluminum body? As well as the keys and monitor without damaging them?

I plan on getting a sleeve to help prevent anymore imperfections.

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

First off, don't eat around your MBP.

Second, the manual that came with your MBP says to only use a damp cloth to clean your MBP. That is all I have used so far. I used to clean my Black MacBook with a clorox wipe once every month or two but, I have not done that with the MBP yet.

3. Buzz Law thread starter macrumors newbie

A damp cloth of water? Can this be used for both the screen and the body?

Sorry for being a lazy ass, I just prefer testimonials.

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Yes, it can on the new MB and MBP's. They are glass and aluminum. I don't even use iKlear anymore.

5. Buzz Law thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. Finally, I'm concerned about the keyboard. Does the same rule apply? I'm worried if I use a damp cloth on the keys, the letters/numbers will fade..

6. David the Gnome macrumors newbie

The oils in your skin are much harsher than a damp cloth. :p

7. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I clean my MacBook (white) buy turning it off, pulling the battery, and wipe it down using 100% isopropanol we have in the lab. I then allow it to sit overnight in the vacuum hood. Granted, you may not have vacuum hood, but you can get 95% iso from wally world, and keep the computer in a warm room overnight so that all the alcohol will evaporate off.

8. Buzz Law thread starter macrumors newbie

I chuckled at the oil remark, thanks.

About the isopropanol, is that the same as isopropyl? If so, I have 50% which doesn't sound too healthy after hearing about your 100. I guess I'm just being ....y! I'm just nervous about wiping adding any solvents to this thing.

One more question I forgot to mention. Can I also wipe down the trackpad with water?

Thanks for all the remarks!

9. Tosser macrumors 68030

It is NOT brushed aluminium. It is anodized. There is quite the difference, even if the anodising of the MB/Ps is a cheap one.

Anyway, use a damp cloth. Don't rub, wipe.

10. Buzz Law thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting that link. I experienced my MBP get hot for the first time after laying it on my bed on top of soft covers. Clearly a no-no. Apparently solvents aren't the way to go either, looks like I'm all good to go thanks.

If anyone has successfully cleaned the trackpad please post about it.

11. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i just picked up a new iklear pack from the apple store it comes with everything you need, they say its for the mbp's outside case and inside/screen..