Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
Does Carl Icahn own 1% of Apple or does Apple own 20% of Carl Icahn? His net worth is only $20B. If It turns out he's wrong and Apple sinks (he's probably not wrong - certainly not this wrong) down to nothing, then suddenly Carl Icahn only has 80% as much money as he had before.

Just a different spin on the concept of ownership.

I was wondering about this very relationship the last time ole Carl was on an exhibitionist stock buy.

I'm glad you put that in perspective, thanks.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Everybody is talking about how this guy is so smart and that he says it is undervalued. While I agree that it is undervalued, where the heck was he at $80 and why do we pretend that he knows so much when he missed it back then??

Ichan would never pluck with Steve. Predators look for weakness.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Is there some way to ban that picture of Icahn from ever being used again?

Believe it or not that is is "official" picture. He even uses it on Twitter. It's like a modern day "Emperors New Clothes". Someone told him that was a great picture as a joke and he believed it.

But I have no grudge against Icahn gobbling up more AAPL. The value is there and maybe it will put a fire under Cook's arse to get the share price up. If not Icahn is going to keep going until he can buy himself a seat on the board.

----------

MacRumors should just rubber stamp the first page of comments every time they run an article about Icahn.

Better yet, a pop-up alerts the poster the comment has been made and violates the double posting policy. :D

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
This sounds like a pump and dump strategy to me.

Sounds exactly like a pump and dump. He is betting that he can make enough noise to force Apple to pump the market with a buy back so he can then dump his stake and make hundreds of millions of profit. People like him couldn't care less what happens as long as they dump their stock before any trouble they cause starts and leave all the remaining investors like pension funds etc. to pick up the pieces.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Sounds exactly like a pump and dump. He is betting that he can make enough noise to force Apple to pump the market with a buy back so he can then dump his stake and make hundreds of millions of profit. People like him couldn't care less what happens as long as they dump their stock before any trouble they cause starts and leave all the remaining investors like pension funds etc. to pick up the pieces.

Exactly! He's buying tons of stock, hoping a buy back happens, and his stock value goes up!

In a nutshell: Hey Apple, please make my shares a lot more valuable.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
While I understand some of the price drop, why it is so vicious is confusing. You understand why growth stocks plummet when growth ends, but AAPL has a P/E in the low teens - not exactly a growth stock price. GOOG is 30 for example, and it can miss earnings but beat revenue and go flying. AAPL seems to continually be punished unless perfection is seen.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Wow! It's hard to imagine why Carl Icahn just keeps pouring money into Apple when he could easily invest into Google or Amazon or Priceline or Intuitive Surgical or Boeing or any of the hundreds of other companies that would give him returns. Apple isn't going to give back anything to shareholders. That's how the company operates. Products always come first. Shareholders always come last.

My only hopes as a long-term Apple shareholder is hoping for yearly increased dividends and a miracle that Apple may become a leading company in the mobile payments industry and eventually get into the banking business. Apple's smartphone business looks to be totally crippled by cheap Android devices. Those companies making those devices must be struggling but they keep hanging in there. I believe Apple has a much greater advantage over those smaller, struggling companies because Apple is sitting on a mountain of cash but maybe I'm wrong.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
While I understand some of the price drop, why it is so vicious is confusing. You understand why growth stocks plummet when growth ends, but AAPL has a P/E in the low teens - not exactly a growth stock price. GOOG is 30 for example, and it can miss earnings but beat revenue and go flying. AAPL seems to continually be punished unless perfection is seen.

Investors must think there are better opportunities elsewhere.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Exactly! He's buying tons of stock, hoping a buy back happens, and his stock value goes up!

In a nutshell: Hey Apple, please make my shares a lot more valuable.

Lol. I wonder what you think the rest of the investors in the stock are doing.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
If I had the money I would also.

I'm not saying it's not a good investment. I invested in Apple when it was under $5 a share. It's just funny that he keeps crying and complaining about how they're doing things and thinking he can tell them how they need to do things then when they don't do what he wants, he invests more.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
I'm not saying it's not a good investment. I invested in Apple when it was under $5 a share. It's just funny that he keeps crying and complaining about how they're doing things and thinking he can tell them how they need to do things then when they don't do what he wants, he invests more.

I wouldn't consider it "crying and complaining". He sees an opportunity where Apple has a mountain of cash with no plans to use it. What do you think Apple should do with its $158 billion in cash?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

To be fair, don't his comments make perfectly transparent that's what he's doing? It's not like he's either pushing for this buy back or investing in secret.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
that's what's wrong with monetary system and stock market. He is not buying using his own funds, he do that on margin and borrows the funds. He gambles. With borrowed funds. A single guy gambles 500k x $500 = $250 mil. Two days ago another $275 mil. $0.5B for single title over past week. A single guy. So, basically, if one old man will get a change of mind or will fall in love with prostitute he can wreak havoc over financial markets.

No worries, sociopaths don't fall in love with anyone except themselves.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
wlOObuE.jpg

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I wouldn't consider it "crying and complaining". He sees an opportunity where Apple has a mountain of cash with no plans to use it. What do you think Apple should do with its $158 billion in cash?

Well he's never addressed all the money they'd lose if they did the stock buy back. He doesn't care about that because it would increase his stock price but then he'd sell.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
If he's buying shares to dump them for profit then that's one thing.

My concern is that he's trying to buy himself onto the board and yield some kind of power.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Does Carl Icahn own 1% of Apple or does Apple own 20% of Carl Icahn? His net worth is only $20B. If It turns out he's wrong and Apple sinks (he's probably not wrong - certainly not this wrong) down to nothing, then suddenly Carl Icahn only has 80% as much money as he had before.

Just a different spin on the concept of ownership.

Apple does not benefit with Carl Icahn owning shares. Carl Icahn does benefit from Apple.

That's the difference to why he is the owner and not Apple.

----------

made my day

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.