Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Planky

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2009
The Sunny Isle of Wight
I just found out that the original developers of Carmageddon I and II have managed to get the rights to the game back and have put up a kickstarter to raise funds to write a proper sequel!

Carmageddon is my favourite racing game, I have spent hours and hours with my friends playing it on a LAN. :D

I was gutted when I could no longer run it on my Mac due to system upgrades :( But they are going to make a Mac version as well as PC :D

I have pledged some money, anyone who loves carmageddon should get down to the kickstarter web site and pledge some cash!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't think I'll back the kickstarter. Carmageddon was megacool back in the day but I don't think they could make a new, relevant game. They've got a lot of pedigree arcade racers to go against.

As for the comedy violence part of it... games can't rely on it like they used to. It's all about gameplay or hype now.

But it's good to think they're working on a new game in the series. If it does turn out to be wonderful and glowing I'll pick up a copy :).

Heeeey wait a cotton picking minute... Isle of Wight? 3 people live on the Isle of Wight; Stainless Games, Jeremy Clarkson and you. :p

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I loved it back in the day but like the post above I don't think it will carry the same weight now, it may be fun for a few hours but this is one I would rather wait and see. I have seen a lot of original devs try to recreate there original successful games and come out with a product that is severely lacking.

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
Carmageddon 2 was definitely one of my favorite games back in the days. I would love too see a good Carmageddon game once again.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Carmageddon is my favourite racing game, I have spent hours and hours with my friends playing it on a LAN. :D

I was gutted when I could no longer run it on my Mac due to system upgrades :( But they are going to make a Mac version as well as PC :D

I have pledged some money, anyone who loves carmageddon should get down to the kickstarter web site and pledge some cash!

Carmageddon 2 on LAN playing against my colleagues was the greatest fun I had on a computer game, ever! :)

The comic violence... the idiotic weapons.... always one nutcase who didn't race, but just wanted to annoy... "Amazing, you won!" :D

The single player mode was nothing special. But, multiplayer racing and annoying was über-brilliant! :cool:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I don't think I'll back the kickstarter. Carmageddon was megacool back in the day but I don't think they could make a new, relevant game. They've got a lot of pedigree arcade racers to go against.

As for the comedy violence part of it... games can't rely on it like they used to. It's all about gameplay or hype now.

But it's good to think they're working on a new game in the series. If it does turn out to be wonderful and glowing I'll pick up a copy :).

Heeeey wait a cotton picking minute... Isle of Wight? 3 people live on the Isle of Wight; Stainless Games, Jeremy Clarkson and you. :p

Jeremy Clarkson lives on the Isle of Man, so only 2 people.

Actually there are quite a few more. I used to live there when working for Vis Entertainment (old Stainless office) and worked with a few Stainless guys (Vis ended, people moved on). Great guys, I hope the new Carmageddon does well.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Jeremy Clarkson lives on the Isle of Man, so only 2 people.

Clarkson lives on the UK mainland in Chipping Norton, it would make it hard for filming if he had to fly everyday to the BBC studios. He does own a house in the Isle of Man though.

Edwin

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Oh wow, I don't check the Carmageddon site in a month and something cool like this shows up!
Ugh, I really need Apple to release new Pros soon, I NEED THIS! The only time my original Carmegddon disc leaves my PM G4 is when I do some funky updates or something.

Ohnhai

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2012
Confirmed Mac version for Carmma reincarnation.

Stainless have just released an update confirming that if the total hits 600k they will commit to both OSX and Linux versions :D

Woo and indeed Hooo!!!

This will be awesome on a 27" thunderbolt monitor :)

All mac fans really need to get behind this. OSX struggles for gaming love.

Last edited:

Fank

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
OH USA
Had great fun playing the original Carmageddon on lan - but an IOS version? I'll be watching . . .

snipper

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2004
Jit

Great news this! I found out just in time to 'co-found' it and get in for the beta-release. :) As it is going now, they won't hit the 600 K, but I think they'll make an OS X version anyway, after the STEAM, iOS, Android and Windows versions.

Don't underestimate these guys. The original Carmageddon was, in 1997, spectacular from a technical point of view, but maybe even more interesting because of the creativity: The dark humor and the bizarre power-ups, cars and landscapes. All the weird things that could happen to the pedestrians alone!

This time, there will be a public editor! I once had the idea to rebuild the whole 40 x 4 km island I live (Goeree-Overflakkee, Netherlands) in a Carmageddon map :D This could give me the opportunity.

Ohnhai

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2012
OSX version confirmed!!! only 12 hours to go!

n0bby of Stainless has confirmed that an OSX version is going to happen!!!

now is your chance to pledge and get the game at a discounted price and a chance to pick up a lot of cool Exclusive stuff ..

The project is currently at $580K of its 600K strech goal to facilitate the OSX sooner..

if you have been holding off.. NOW is the time to pledge!!!

snipper

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2004
OS X version of Carmageddon: Reincarnation

Great to hear that the 600 K goal has been met on the last day!

So there will be a OS X version for sure! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.