Carphone Warehouse Direct Debit Mandate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steviem, Apr 28, 2008.

1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Hi,

A friend at work bought an iPhone from the Carphone Warehouse site on thursday, but also bought one off ebay too (don't ask why) and I want to buy the carphone warehouse one from him on wednesday which he doesn't need.

He said he had to fill in a direct debit mandate form, but doesn't remember what it was about. If anyone has filled this in, could you say what it was about, as he is worried he'll start getting £35 bills.

I thought the way it works isthe phone isnt linked to a contract until you activate it in iTunes.

I'll be pwning it and unlocking it when I get it though...

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It sounds like it'll be some monthly charge but why in the world would anyone sign something that said "direct debit mandate" without actually reading it.
    Sounds to me like your iPhone buying buddy isn't all that bright. :)

3. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

Indeed lol. I went on the cpw site myself to see if i could find it, but i also found that they add insurance to the order, so that might be it...

4. J400uk macrumors regular

I tried to order from them but they ask for direct debit details during checkout, not quite sure why but probably because its standard practice in UK for a contract phone, even though you dont actually 'sign up' as such until iTunes activation. Ordered one from apple instead and no direct debit, two weeks later again from o2 and no direct debit details needed.

5. punitnaker macrumors regular

best thing to do, if your concerned is to ring up your bank and ask if a direct debit is set up for CPW and if it is, cancel it. I think it most probably is the insurance for the phone. In that case, they will automatically cancel your insurance as they wont receive any money for it.

6. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

hahaha how can somebody possibly agree to a direct debit mandate without reading it? it could well be a £35 contract..

7. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

*Update*

He spoke to Carphone Warehouse, they say it isn't regarding the phone contract, so he's free to let me have it, they say its for id purposes though. Which is weird.

Anyway, long story short, the pwnage tool is on my macbook ready for tomorrow :D