carphone warehouse iphone 3g cock up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sku, Jul 28, 2008.

1. sku macrumors member

I just wanted to gauge how many other users who purchased their iphone 3g from the CPWH are experiencing/ experienced this problem.

I purchased an iphone 3g last week over the phone at the carphone warehouse. After 3 days and "no service", I phoned O2.

O2 said they had no details of my tariff from the carphone warehouse. They know I have an iphone 3g and can see it's phone number, but no other information relating to what tariff it is or billing etc.

So, I phoned the carphone warehouse and they said they are experiencing problems forwarding the relevant details to O2, and receive an error message from O2's end. Then I got the dreaded, "we will call you back to get this sorted, the guy who sorts it out isn't here".

I will be amazed if I get called back. I might phone back this afternoon to chase it up. I think it's simply an input error on their part and that's why O2 reject it. CPWH said it might take up to 48 hours to rectify and get the details to O2. If accepted, then it takes another 24 - 48 hours for O2 to activate the sim. So, all-in-all, the total time to get the iphone up and working could be a week. If I have no luck by next Monday, I will return the iphone to CPWH.

I have spoken to a number of O2 staff and they seem pretty annoyed at CPWH.

I just thought I would share this information for anyone else who is having problems with an iphone from the CPWH or is thinking of buying a iphone from the CPWH. Anyone else had this problem?

2. phannon666 macrumors regular

This is exactly why I didn't go to CPW (I live 10mins walk from one), and went out of my way, (20min drive), to my nearest O2 store. I know I got my phone from O2, and any problems I have, I deal with O2. When you go through CPW, you're going to start experiencing a lot of the "blame game" being played between CPW and O2.

3. iPhelim, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  4. sku thread starter macrumors member

Well, at least CPWH are saying it's their problem and acknowledge they have to fix it. Just been 4 days now. Absolutely ludicrous.

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

cockup British & Australian slang
    Noun
    something done badly

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Thanks for clearing that up. Sometimes I'm surprised that we're all actually speaking the same language :D

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

One of my favorite Anglicisms. :D

I hope you get it all straightened out soon. It sounds quite frustrating. :(