Carphone Warehouse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BillabongJoe, Jun 19, 2009.

1. BillabongJoe macrumors member

BillabongJoe

I was just in Carphone Warehouse playing around with the 3G-s, comparing to my 3G. It is pretty snappy but not worth the cost of terminating my contract or buying a pay as you go one. A guy came over and asked if I needed anything and I say what I have just sad that I can't afford the cost of terminating my contract so it's not worth me getting the new one. He then asked me if I bought my 3G from Carphone Warehouse and if I had insurance I said no and that I had got it from an O2 shop, but I did have insurance. The next bit is what I’m not sure about, he said that if I had got it from Carphone warehouse that there insurance covers early termination of contracts and that I would have been able to upgrade there and then had I bought my 3G from there. Now was this matey chatting bull**** or is this true cos if it's true I’m getting the next iPhone from Carphone warehouse for sure.

2. kid rock macrumors regular

I hope this is true, if so CPW are going to get a lot of customers in the future!

But wasn't there that big story in the news a while back about how the insurance that CPW sold didn't actually cover iPhones as they are classed as a PDA under there insurance?

Or was that all sorted out in the end?

Simon:D

3. Que macrumors 6502

highly unlikely. cpw employees are at best, this side of retarded.

if there was such an insurance i'd happily make a career out of it. take out a few contracts one day, cancel the next, sell the phones. all covered under an insurance policy? hmmm.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've checked in to this and they do offer this (it's called Airtime Contract Protection), but it's not as good as it might at first seem.

Firstly, it costs an extra £2.00 per month
    Secondly, it only comes into effect after you have been on your contract for half it's total length
    Thirdly, you have to pay £29.50 to use it
    Fourthly, you have to give them the phone back if you make a claim on it (so no selling it on Ebay)
    Fifthly, you lose your existing number

Not really worth it IMO

5. BillabongJoe thread starter macrumors member

BillabongJoe

Yeah thats hardly worth it, I assumed you'd keep your old phone. Your only saving about 20 quid over buying a pay as you go and selling your old one, and this way you lose your number. Not worth the hassle.