CarPlay CarPlay and Garage Door with iOS 13?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by drober30, Jun 6, 2019.

1. drober30 macrumors 6502a

In the keynote they mentioned opening your garage door with Siri suggestions?

They show the garage door icon on the CarPlay screen, does anybody know how that will actually work?

Does that mean when you get close to home, the icon will automatically appear on the CarPlay screen?

Anyway to have it always be an option on the screen?

I already have HomeKit working with my garage door opener.

2. LK LAW macrumors member

LK LAW

No clue, hey siri in your car should be working with iOS13 though.

3. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

It appears on the overview screen when you get close. No way to manually make it appear there or pin it. It's pretty neat but I won't use it since I have a button on my visor anyway and, oh lord, the flashing and beeping song and dance that chamberlain openers make when you use HomeKit to close them.

4. MozMan68 macrumors 68030

MozMan68

I like this idea from a safety perspective...not having a remote in your car that could be accessible to someone else.

I was looking into upgrading my garage door opener to one of the "smart" ones. Not necessarily for this feature, but so that other members of the family could open it from the outside versus the keypad we currently have that works sporadically...and yeah, I want the speaker attachment as well so I can play music in the garage when I'm working out there.

My concern would be how far away you would need to be for it to work. I'm guessing you have to at least be in your driveway, close, for it to activate? I'm typically opening my garage when I'm a couple of houses away. I roll right in as it is still opening.

5. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do use the Hey Siri or raise to speak on Apple Watch to open my garage doors, it would just cool to have the option for a push to open using CarPlay.

I too open my doors several houses away so when I roll up to my house, the door(s) are already open.

6. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I sure do hope they integrate this, I, as someone stated here, use my Apple Watch, but "Hey Siri" is a cluster when you have your ipad, phone, carplay, and apple watch in the car at the time, the Apple Watch is the only one that can respond without "unlocking" before performing the procedure.

7. gwhizkids macrumors 601

gwhizkids

I had this appear in my overview screen when I finally figured out how to open my overview screen (thanks @MozMan68 !). What I want to know is how to make the door (I have 2) appear that you want to appear. Does me no good to open my wife's garage door!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 ---
    I use the MyQ system with Homebridge (I keep hoping Chamberlain will relent and allow HomeKit / Shortcuts integration without need for Hub). When I can use that, using HomeKit is no big deal ("Open Dad's Garage Door" and it opens). Are you experiencing something different?

8. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

I only have one Garage Door. We can't all be fancy :p

Seriously though it's a good question I hadn't thought about. Favorites wouldn't work because they are for everyone. I guess you could try putting you or phone's name in the device name. I suspect it just hasn't been thought out though. Feedback time perhaps.

9. gwhizkids macrumors 601

gwhizkids

Nah. You don’t hit “fancy” till you have 3 doors!

10. MozMan68 macrumors 68030

MozMan68

Like me? ;)

11. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Wow. Way to go guys :(

;)