Auto Carplay and iPhone charging

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by TnBoater, Jan 3, 2017.

1. TnBoater macrumors newbie

I'm considering purchasing a new HU with Carplay for my car. As I've been researching alternatives I'm worried about the ability to charge my iphone while using Carplay. The usb connections in the HUs I've seen all charge at 1 amp and my experience has been that a 1 amp usb charger is unable to keep up with the battery drain when I'm running a nav app (like Waze) and also Pandora. I currently use a usb adapter rated at 2 amps. If these new Carplay HUs can keep up the battery on my iphone on a long trip, it severely limits the viability of Carplay for me.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. jfoley89 macrumors regular

I have a Alpine ilx-007 installed in my work ute. Not sure what the amp output on it is but it is more than enough to quickly charge my phone while playing music and using maps. Even has a dedicated Siri button on the unit itself.

3. tills24 macrumors member

I have a Pioneer AppRadio 4, and my phone charges fine while driving. I use Pandra, stream podcasts, and use Apple Maps. I've never used Waze, though.

4. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I have VW Jetta and my phone charges fine - I use mostly maps, but also do messages

5. inf macrumors 6502

inf

I don't think you can use waze through CarPlay anyway as Apple doesn't allow nav apps in CarPlay (other than Apple Maps

6. randomplaydo macrumors member

As other said, my phone charges normally using CarPlay with my JVC HU. It's no different than if I was using the phone while it's plugged into the wall. I've used it while using Waze too (which I know is an insane battery draining app).

Just keep in mind though, that the ONLY navigation app that will display on the HU is Apple maps. You can get audio turn by turn directions from other nav apps, just like playing music or podcasts, but it won't display on the radio screen.