Auto CarPlay and Multitasking

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by tizeye, Feb 1, 2017.

1. tizeye macrumors member

tizeye

Searched but didn't see addressed. Shopping for a car as VW buys back my diesel in a couple of weeks. Many cars now offering CarPlay. While navigation is a necessity for my work, debating between traditional vs relying solely on CarPlay options. Would appreciate feedback from seasoned CarPlay users as my experience below throws car salesmen.

Recently rented a car without Nav (or CarPlay) and relied on iPhone maps/nav. The problem came with multasking while using maps/nav - incoming call, check msg/email, launching another app like Gasbuddy, when returning back to maps, had to re-start the navigation as it didn't follow in the background and even had to re-state my final destination for the re-calculation based on the new position. I short, it was a pain. Can I expect the same from Carplay even with something as simple as streaming music and navigation simultaneously, but obviously the more complex like launching a non-carplay supported app to check gas prices in the area or where a Starbucks is. Also, are non- Apple/Beats music options, like Amazon music, supported.

2. Aenygma22 macrumors newbie

Aenygma22

I have had no issues with CarPlay.
    It works very well, picks up your voice (though this will also depend on the mic used by the particular car company) well and distinguishes between names.

I often listen to Pandora or the Music app while driving, and have while navigating with no issues.

3. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

That shouldn't behave that way. I've never had Apple Maps stop/pause navigation when switching to another app. With or without CarPlay.

4. buckZor macrumors newbie

buckZor

The Maps guidance is designed to work with the Music app(s) and will pause playback for guidance instructions at appropriate times (if you wish).

5. PeteLP macrumors regular

I too multi task maps with music and or audio-books all the time and have never seen the behavior described by the original poster. I do it with apple maps and google maps, one or the other. I don't yet have carplay

make sure background refresh is turned on if you're using Google Maps:

Settings > General > Background App Refresh > ON
    and
    Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Google Maps > ON

6. convergent macrumors 68020

convergent

I agree with this... on my iPhone all navigation apps continue to work if I'm in some other app.... with or without CarPlay. You didn't mention this, but the Watch / CarPlay combo work well together. I have audio prompts turned off on CarPlay because I don't like having my podcast or music interrupted all the time. I have an Apple Watch which gives me taptic feedback on my wrist when I'm approaching a turn. I can than look up at the CarPlay screen to see what turn I'm making on the map; or just look at my watch for the text of the turn... either way I don't miss the turn because I'm doing something else or driving. And CarPlay does pop up the turn info over the other app I might be in.

7. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Watching a review video in another post, am I correct in assuming that your iPhone goes blank when Carplay is running on a supported deck? Likewise, I'm guessing if you "quit" Carplay on the deck, screen control returns to the iPhone?

Can someone confirm?

8. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

My iPhone stays fully functional, I can even fire up other apps (like check the weather with Dark Sky). It has a blue bar across the top to indicate CP is still running (the way you see a green bar if you have an active call and switch out to another app).

9. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick response; good to know the phone remains functional. Guess in the video review, the reviewer had his phone locked in that case.

10. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Multitasking while driving? That must be a safety violation. Never ever kidder with a phone while car is moving.