Auto Carplay and steering wheel controls?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by wav, Jun 6, 2017.

1. wav macrumors member

i just took a Mercedes CLA250 for a test drive last night and was a bit disappointed that the steering wheel controls for skipping to the next song didn’t work when listening to music through CarPlay. I could skip to the next track by using the CarPlay interface, but not with the controls on the steering wheel. This surprised me and I wonder if this is how it is on all makes and models with CarPlay or just Mercedes?

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Was the system factory installed in the car? If it's a third party stereo with car play,things like this could happen.

3. wav thread starter macrumors member

The system was factory installed - all Mercedes and it was at the Mercedes dealership. Maybe it needs a software update?

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Possible,but it might also be a hardware problem. Try check if anyone else noticed it. I'm sure that if the technicians working with the system could solve it,if it's reported to them.

5. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

CarPlay is supposed to use the car’s hardware controls, so like mentioned above, talk to the technician at the dealer.

6. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

My steering wheel controls work with skipping tracks and the voice button pulls up Siri.

Edit, sorry 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Works fine on my '17 Honda Civic.

I only wish it would show nav directions in the speedometer screen, but other than that, the main screen's CarPlay interface is WAY better than the UI that Honda designed. (not really a surprise)

8. dahauss macrumors regular

I added a 3rd party carplay radio to my element and connected the steering wheel controls and they work fine. Something had to be wrong with the radio.

9. Ralfi macrumors 6502a

Ralfi

2016 VW Golf GTI & steering controls work.

You should test it in another equivalent model in the yard.

10. genomez macrumors member

My 2015 Mercedes CLS400 does not allow me to change tracks either. I can use the buttons for Siri and of course the volume controls (including mute) on the steering wheel but not the “up” and “down” arrows for tracks.

I was disappointed to find that out as well. I should mention that this came preinstalled from the factory in 2016 up and in my car I had the Mercedes retrofit done at the dealership (software update and they swapped my cars USB plugs).

11. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Audi steering controls work, but after 2 days I disabled CarPlay it has to be the worst system I've used for the last 10 years.

Audis virtual cockpit is leagues ahead.

12. PeteLP macrumors regular

The steering wheel controls on the CLA are customizable multi-function buttons. There are arrows on the steering wheel that take you through menus on the dash, which allow you to choose their function. One of those functions is audio-track-skipping.

Have you gotten to the point where you've chosen audio-track-skipping for the multi-function buttons? If you get to that point and confirm your choice, as described in the manual, I believe they are likely to work with carplay music.

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

My A4's skipping functions work.

Wish I had the virtual cockpit, though

14. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Yup, I have the same car and I couldn’t agree more. I haven’t once used their built in phone connection, only car play. The buttons on the steering wheels work for me as well.