Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
I hope they're going to make Siri better, or else this is going to flop. Perfect use for Siri would be telling it to play a song while driving. I can't tell you how many times I've said "play U2" and instead it thinks I said "YouTube".

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I can only imagine that will be a fantastic experience. ;)

I don't know... This CarPlay stuff is rubbing me the wrong way. It reminds me a lot to Apple's 2005 collaboration with Motorola to make the Rokr "iTunes Phone". Two years later, Apple did it right with the iPhone.

I'm not buying that CarPlay is "doing it right".

I strongly doubt Apple will be building a car in 2 years;-)

jake1776

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Idaho
Bought a GMC Terrain car yesterday!

Will my 2014 GMC Sierra make the cut? GMC redesigned the Sierra for the '14 will an all new infotainment system. I would be disappointed if they weren't forward thinking. iOS in the Car, after all, was announced before these cars were released.

I am feeling you! I waited for about two years for full iOS in-car integration. I finally had to buy a car yesterday. I opted for a 2014 GMC Terrain. I guess it does have Siri hands free ... but the infotainment system UI is terrible. Nonetheless ... an otherwise great car. I would be highly interested in GM / Apple partnering to bring CarPlay to older vehicles like my 2014 GMC model. I hear that Apple Corp actually reads MacRumors. Here's hoping they read this one!

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The one thing that intrigues me is that no one is asking what is this going to cost. You can bet your life it will be an optional extra on the car and will have a cost associated with it.

I have a 2013 BMW with Idrive and handsfree phone and Music already integrated and it sure as hell was an optional extra to get that and not cheap.

I can easily see this costing as much as twice the cost of the phone.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
And "doing it right" would be??? I can't see Apple getting in the business of developing imbedded OSes for automobiles that would have to work with competing devices. Not could I see car companies giving that control to Apple.

how do you figure?

Doing it right would be no resistive touch screens. It would also mean no wonky UIs-on-top-of-UIs, as you can see in the photo below.

0.jpg

Does this seriously look right to you?

There aren't any similarities between CarPlay and the Rokr. Apple is in complete control of the software here. This looks just like AirPlay, which has been quite successful.

The similarity is that Apple is accepting that they don't have the control to make the product as good as it can be. CarPlay is not the ideal, premium solution to a better in-the-car UI, so why is everybody making it out to be?

tarproductions

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2010
San Diego, CA
I am feeling you! I waited for about two years for full iOS in-car integration. I finally had to buy a car yesterday. I opted for a 2014 GMC Terrain. I guess it does have Siri hands free ... but the infotainment system UI is terrible. Nonetheless ... an otherwise great car. I would be highly interested in GM / Apple partnering to bring CarPlay to older vehicles like my 2014 GMC model. I hear that Apple Corp actually reads MacRumors. Here's hoping they read this one!

At the very least I hope they make an after market add-on. Would be shocked if 2014 models wouldn't be compatible and 2015 are.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008

I don't know... This CarPlay stuff is rubbing me the wrong way. It reminds me a lot to Apple's 2005 collaboration with Motorola to make the Rokr "iTunes Phone". Two years later, Apple did it right with the iPhone.

I don't understand the issue.
All CarPlay does is use the head unit in AirPlay fashion to display software running on your phone.

Not sure how much better it can get.
The CarPlay implementation is EXACTLY the right way to go.
Ties the system to your phone, not the car.
Imagine getting into a CarPlay enabled rental car and having 'your car' with you....or your parents car....or your friends car.

What would a better implementation be for CarPlay?

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
My 2002 CLK is waiting......

I'm afraid you'll be waiting a long time. I also own a 2002 CLK and it's has a D2B optical network, which I doubt they're going to support. Mercedes came up with D2B and started implementing it in 1999. They licensed it out to a couple other car companies (Jaguar, VW) who implemented it for a time, but around 2004 Mercedes switched to the industry standardized MOST network, which apparently is still in use today. If they support an optical network, it's likely to be that one.

As for the rest of you that own cars other than Mercedes, like I mentioned MOST is an industry standard, so if it should work unless your car has no optical network and simply uses copper wires. There's a good article explaining the technology here:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/aud...o-system-replacement-upgrade-enhancement.html

I use to be somewhat of an audio guru, but I sort of gave up on that hobby. As the sound systems in Benz's got better and more complex there was wasn't much point in it from my perspective. My CLK is my 5th Mercedes. My first was a 1972 250. The first thing I did when I got it was take a saber saw and cut two giant holes in the metal separating the truck and the rear seat and install two 15" woofers. Two 100W amplifiers and 10 mid/tweeters carefully concealed around the car and a Blaupunkt head unit later and I had one bump'n ride. My spirit is still in it so I haven't given up on the CLK yet. I'm thinking about installing an Airport Express and wirelessly connecting to it with my iPhone. The trick is to gain an audio in to the head unit, which is a problem. Do a little searching and there's people who took the head unit apart and cut some traces on a circuit board and soldered on a connector. The tape deck no longer works, but who cares? I tried this, but broke a ribbon connector in the process. I tried to put it back together, but it smoked when I turned it on. I found a used one on eBay for $150, so it wasn't horrible, but I haven't tried it on the replacement unit yet. I'm thinking of a separate cheap-o router to attach the Airport to so it's happy, even though it's not connected to the internet. Then I'd need a power supply, and in the end, isn't it about time I get a newer car anyway?

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada

I tend to agree. The interface is ok, but Apple doesn't have much control over the car manufacturers. Just look at Ferrari's resistive touchscreen. From the hands-on videos I saw, the animations just don't look right, and to top it off, you can clearly see stuttering, the colours and button shapes and typography size just seem off, scrolling is done via arrow buttons.

I'm sure CarPlay will get better, but this isn't the great step forward yet IMO. It's not the polished Apple product that we've come to expect.

atomboy7

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
I don't understand the issue.
All CarPlay does is use the head unit in AirPlay fashion to display software running on your phone.

Not sure how much better it can get.
The CarPlay implementation is EXACTLY the right way to go.
Ties the system to your phone, not the car.
Imagine getting into a CarPlay enabled rental car and having 'your car' with you....or your parents car....or your friends car.

What would a better implementation be for CarPlay?

First post!

In all honesty, I really like the idea of CarPlay, however I somewhat agree with musika. My only dislike is having a touch screen in the car. Granted I have not tried the Tesla interpretation, but 99% of cars that I have driven with touch GPS or touch screens of any kind have no haptic feed back and require you to look at the screen while performing any input (very distracting). One of the best vehicle computer UI I have used thus far is the BMW iDrive. It can be operated without looking due to the positioning and feedback of the controls. I hope they don't require a touch screen in order to use CarPlay.

iDrive controller picture below for reference.
http://cdn.cnet.com.au/story_media/339295416/idrive-controller_1.jpg

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Nice enough, but I really don't see the point in all these CarPlay stories this week (ever since it was announced).

We get it, pricey cars will have a funner, better and even more fantastic in-car experience thanks to CarPlay, it will be magical and unicorns will poop rainbows and strike the world with revolutions of love, happiness and laughter.

Can we just get updated Macbook Pro's and iPhones now?

Pricey cars? You must dirt poor if you consider Hondas, Hyundais, & Volvos expensive.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Yay! I had just contacted my M-B dealer about this just two days ago. I have a Smart EV, a great little car but the Bluetooth radio leaves a lot to be desired. The dealer rep told me that CarPlay would be available only in new cars. So this is great news!

I hope they don't require a touch screen in order to use CarPlay.

The built-in BT radio system I have now is all touch-screen. I thought the whole idea behind CarPlay was that Siri would control most everything.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
BTW, that picture looks hideous. I would never want in my Benz; it just wouldn't look right. Mercedes interiors are designed to look clean and subdued with a minimum of clutter and bling. Other cars take a different approach and look more like the interior of a jet fighter, with which, a head unit with lots of lights and buttons may fit right in, but, to my taste, not in a Mercedes. I'd be curious if Mercedes wouldn't tweak the interface to look a little more Mercedes like. Lower the contrast and/or brightness at least.

atomboy7

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
The built-in BT radio system I have now is all touch-screen. I thought the whole idea behind CarPlay was that Siri would control most everything.

I agree that is likely the intension, and it may turn out to be great (since we have never tried it), however if I am driving home in my car with family sleeping perhaps in the back seat, it would be nice to zoom in on a map, or switch between applications (Maps and vehicle status for example) without having to speak it, or take your eyes off the road. With touch you have to look at the screen, with Siri you will wake everyone up, with a UI like the iDrive, you can do simple things like this without taking your eyes off the road.

ahoover

macrumors member
May 11, 2004
I have a 2013 Honda Pilot Touring with the DVD/Nav (2013 is the latest Pilot).

I'd love a retrofit firmware upgrade to CarPlay/Siri Eyes for my Honda Radio/Nav system. On the 2013 Honda Pilot, I presently have access to Siri features through the Honda audio system (mic/speakers) but only via pressing the iPhone Home button on the iPhone versus pressing the Talk Button on the steering wheel. I also have iPod Voice Commands supported by the Honda radio/nav and I can import my Contacts from my iPhone and can both make and answer calls hands free via the steering wheel mounted Pick-Up and Hang-up buttons. I can also play podcasts as a Bluetooth source from the iPhone but no audio controls for browsing audio podcasts. I can play aha stations also via HondaLink.

It would be nice to use the Navigon App on the iPhone but I'd really just be happy if Honda would add support the iPhone Home button via the steering wheel Talk Button as a retro-fit (are you listening Honda USA?). The 2013 Pilot Touring already has both Bluetooth and USB linking which helps with the integration and charging.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"may be" yes....

Professional installation is best ya, but how about a potable system ?

Kind of like what you have now with Bluetooth, speaker,, mic, and pairing and voila , you have IPhone in the car.. bit messy, but its works, to some extent..

If manufactures could do the same, but just add a touch screen to the mix and all done via Bluetooth (with CarPlay would be introducing later anyway), then i'd buy it..

Everyone would benefit ... not just the "older" cars (this could mean anything)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I really can't complain much about my 300's radio. There are 3 improvements I'd do if I were in charge of the design:

* keep updating bluetooth streaming drivers so that more phones are supported by the song info and such.

* reconfigure the steering wheel buttons so you can skip forwards and backwards through presets (right now it can only skip forwards)

* hire a better graphic artist for the UI. It looks a little dated.
system_lg_2013_8.4RE2_chrysler.jpg

The newer dodge version looks a hell of a lot better
uconnect%20access.jpg

Funny thing is it's just a difference in the gradients used. Sheesh.

I will give them credit where it's due though, it's the most straightfoward touchscreen radio I've used. The knobs and steering wheel controls for it are terrific too, and not distracting.

Then again, no texting from the phone, but why the hell would I want to do that while driving anyway? I like driving too much to want to mess around with my phone. I'll check my messages when I get out of the car.

I test drove a 2013 Chrysler T&C and was surprised at how much the uConnect system didn't suck. I had my iPhone paired and playing music within 2 min of trying to figure out how. Navigating the UI was actually easy and it didn't look awful. I prefer the black UI too but at least the layout is glanceable. It still sounded awful but that's nothing an aftermarket amp/speakers can't take care of.

I figure Pioneer/Alpine and all the aftermarket makers will start making add-ons for existing systems now that they're so heavily integrated into the rest of the cars systems (climate, backup cams, etc). That is as long as Apple is willing to license it (like MFi).

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
They better make Siri a LOT better for this to work. I'm trying to use Siri to control my iMatch/iCloud content and it's pretty laughable.

For example...I will say
"Shuffle my 1974 Playlist"
Siri: "Now playing your 1974 playlist, shuffflledddd" (it's pretty muffled/slurred sounding...like Siri has been out drinking)

I don't like the track that's playing...so I hit the home button and say...
"Next Track"
Siri: "Uhhhh...you're not even listening to anything"!

Now, what wise guy programmed Siri to have a snarky attitude like that, particularly when it's messed up?

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm waiting for real aftermarket.

I want a screen on my dashboard, with Bluetooth audio and control from the iPad mini-like screen, in which there is only radio, no CD. And speaking as someone who has bluetooth access to my audio via my iPhone 5, the main problem is the tiny little things to turn off the sound, advance, etc. In the car, reaching an arm's length, it's too far.

----------

First post!

In all honesty, I really like the idea of CarPlay, however I somewhat agree with musika. My only dislike is having a touch screen in the car. Granted I have not tried the Tesla interpretation, but 99% of cars that I have driven with touch GPS or touch screens of any kind have no haptic feed back and require you to look at the screen while performing any input (very distracting). One of the best vehicle computer UI I have used thus far is the BMW iDrive. It can be operated without looking due to the positioning and feedback of the controls. I hope they don't require a touch screen in order to use CarPlay.

iDrive controller picture below for reference.
http://cdn.cnet.com.au/story_media/339295416/idrive-controller_1.jpg

Siri just found my way home for me a couple of days ago. Siri, show me the way to go home. And she did. Left turn ahead in 500 feet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.