Auto Carplay Issues iOS 10

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by AppleMooseMan, Sep 23, 2016.

1. AppleMooseMan macrumors regular

Since updating to iOS10 I've encountered issues with Carplay. Prior to upgrading it worked perfectly and I found it really indispensable when driving.

My car connects to the phone because it charges, but it won't connect to Carplay. The dialog box tells me it's connecting before suddenly giving a disconnect message.

To add to the confusion when I connected another phone it briefly worked, but when I reconnected the phone I encountered the same issues as on the other phone.

Anyone else experiencing these problems?

2. PeteLP macrumors 6502

How does bluetooth work?

One thing to try is to delete the bluetooth-paring from the iphone (forget this network) and pair it again and connect again. Carplay is supposed to use bluetooth in the carplay setup process, and a problem with bluetooth could be the source of your problem with carplay. it's worth trying even if bluetooth appears to be working ok.

Other things to try:
    - Reboot the iphone (you probably have), try connecting with carplay again.

- Turn off the carplay setting on the iphone, go back a level in settings, leave settings. Then go back to settings in the iphone, turn on the carplay setting, try connecting

- "Reset all network settings" on the iphone, setup bluetooth again, turn on carplay again and try again.

3. Sam Luis Obispo macrumors member

Had disconnect issues with iOS 9 and they now continue in iOS 10. If I am listening to an audiobook when I shut off the car, it now plays music or a podcast when I turn it back on. Or if I am listening to a podcast when I shut the car off, I am now listening to a different podcast when I turn it back on. Don't remember that happening in i iOS 9.

4. AppleMooseMan thread starter macrumors regular

Downgrading to iOS9 fixed the issue. Because it's not my phone I needed to upgrade to iOS 10 again to restore from backup. Briefly worked again until the same issues arose, car screen tells me it's connecting but then it gives me a disconnect dialog box.

Confusingly, I then used a different cable. A micro USB with the Mophie Juice pack, now it's working again. Not sure for how long though.

5. bitterseed macrumors newbie

bitterseed

If you haven't figured this out by now. I'll let you know that in iOS 10 it doesn't require and in fact hates having the phone connected by both BT and USB/Lightning. It will wig it out if this is how it's connected. Also, if you have an Apple Watch it will further complicate things with features like Handoff and the data it pushes to the Watch.

Just an fyi.