CarPlay CarPlay issues

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by BaracksPhallusPalace, Jul 26, 2019.

1. BaracksPhallusPalace macrumors member

BaracksPhallusPalace

I recently purchased a 2019 Mazda 3 and I've had numerous problems with CarPlay. Mainly, I get a black screen when opening most 3rd party apps such as SiriusXM or Amazon Music. When the apps do work, often times they will freeze up and I can't even navigate the CarPlay interface to switch to another app such as Maps. When this happens, I've gotta grab my iphone and swap out of them manually... It's pretty frustrating and negates the whole purpose of CarPlay's convenience. Has anyone else experienced these problems, and if so, what was the remedy?

Thanks!

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I feel your pain. Believe it or not, CarPlay used to be much worse.

I have been using CarPlay since 2015, and it used to be so buggy. It has gotten better, but there is still a lot of bugs, most in my experience are related to their-party apps.

I really have no other advice to give you except I have noticed that the third-party apps tend to work better if your iPhone is unlocked.

I have seen others post advice saying to use an Apple Lightning cable, as sometimes third-party cables causes CarPlay issues. I have seen CarPlay issues on Apple and non-Apple cables myself, but it might help you.

I get it. I have been saying this for years. Sometimes the only way to get CarPlay to work is unplugging and replugging the iPhone, which is distracting. Sometimes, I have to restart my iPhone to get it to work. The worse is when I have to restart my iPhone and my car to get it to work.

I have tried CarPlay with a few different model iPhones, a few different iOS versions, two aftermarket head units, and a factory head unit from a 2019 Jetta, and I have had issues with every combo.

Some people have report having zero issues with CarPlay. I suspect that they probably use only Apple CarPlay apps.

3. bbednarz macrumors 65816

bbednarz

Is it wired or wireless? I used to have a wired aftermarket system that caused some of the issues you describe, but since going with a wireless unit it has worked perfectly. Kinda weird, would think it would be the other way around.

4. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

What version of IOS are you running on what version iPhone?

I have had issues when I plug in my phone "too soon" after starting car - I found if I waited a couple of minutes it worked better - as if car system wasn't fully ready to support CarPlay

5. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

A problem I have a LOT with my wired CarPlay experience is that it will lose connectivity for a few seconds. When it comes back I have to restart my trip in my maps application. So frustrating.

6. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

Well it is good to know I'm not alone. I've got a 2019 Jeep Cherokee, and CarPlay has sucked from day one regarding music playback. I've got a lot of downloaded music on my iPhone Xs, and when I choose downloaded music it takes 2-5 minutes, or more, to start playing. I have not tried to stream music via the iPhone as I don't want to eat up my allowed data plan. I guess I should give it a try. Maybe my large downloaded library is confusing it?

Of course the other problem I've had is similar that many have reported. That is the iPhone fails to connect to the Jeep a lot. I've used third party and official Apple cables, and it doesn't seem to matter. One thing I've learned I should never plug in the iPhone before I start the car. I also think it helps to unlock the phone at plug in. I think there may be a setting that blocks locked phone USB connections. I'll have to dig into that.

All I can say is God help us when iOS 13 comes out! I wonder if our cars will need a firmware update via our car manufacturer service center. Finger crossed, maybe in the end iOS 13 will improve our CarPlay experience?

7. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

You are definitely not alone here.

I have been posting various CarPlay issues since I started using it in 2015. There have also been posts on the forum with people stating that they have not experienced one CarPlay bug or issue.

I have even had a few MR members say that my issues were either user-error or my iPhone had damage, which would be extremely unlikely, as I used CarPlay with a few different iPhone models.

So, maybe it just depends on what combinations of device, version of iOS, head unit, and what apps are used to determine what the users' CarPlay experience will be like. Or, maybe some MR members are hyper-sensitive about any criticism of any Apple product, that they just say that CarPlay is flawless. Probably the former, but I sometimes wonder.

8. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

I tried another iPhone and still had intermittent connection issues. Meanwhile my Jeep service folks only say there is not a software update on their end. Recently, I read that BMW is going to charge a monthly fee instead of an initial flat fee for CarPlay on the next model year. What a rip-off! I wonder if Apple gets a piece of that? I’m ready to go back to 8-track tapes:p

9. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Yup, I really think it is on Apple's end. I see the same issues across multiple head units and iPhones, so it sounds like an iOS issue to me.

This is a ripoff.

CarPlay is nice, especially when it works correctly, but I doubt I would pay extra money for it.

Not quite 8-tracks, but I have recently decided to stop buying media in digital format, and going back to tangible stuff like Blu-Ray, DVD, and CDs, and vinyl.

I will still use digital copies, but only stuff from my physical collection.

10. jazz1, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019

jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

I am so tempted as I can rip high resolution CD’s. But heck, I don’t think it is worth hi-res in my car/SUV. Is anyone out there totally happy with CarPlay, meaning no issues/

11. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Have not had any issues with carplay in my 2018 Civic

12. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Would you mind posting your iPhone model, iOS version, and what CarPlay Apps you typically use most?

13. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

My boss has this same car, and has mentioned problems with carplay and third party apps ( i believe he was using amazon music?) meanwhile my small 2016 Fiesta has no problems. Not sure if this is just coincidence, but thought i'd share.

14. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

7+, IOS 12.4. Apps I use the most are phone, maps, music, tunein, radio.com, SirisuXM and podcasts

15. bransoj macrumors 6502a

iPhone 6S running the latest public beta of iOS 13 with an Apple cable plugged into my 2018 Vauxhall Insignia...barely had a problem since i got the car in March 2018. Did use Amazon Music on a free trial for a while and first time i tried to use it I had a poor signal and it gave a black screen and didnt work. Tried later on and it loaded fine so put it down to the Amazon Music app needing a connection for some reason and it was taking too long over the poor signal.

I use Apple Maps, Apple Music with subscription, phone calls, messages and then some third party apps such as BBC Sounds, Overcast and Tunein Radio all without issue. Tried Waze but didnt like it although it worked fine. Now under iOS13 some of the changes are very good and working well. Used Apple Maps to guide me on a 2500 mile trip from the UK into France briefly through Belgium and Luxembourg before going back into France and eventually back to the UK and it never missed a beat and was streaming UK radio via the BBC app using the cars wifi connection. It works that well my other half is looking to change her car to one that has Carplay available.

16. dwfaust macrumors 603

dwfaust

Xs Max, iOS 13 DP5, aftermarket head unit (Alpine ILX-107) w wireless CarPlay connection ... most use apps are Waze, Spotify, Overcast, Phone and Messages.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 29, 2019 ---
    Just upgraded to iOS 13 DP5 and ...

I can play iHeartRadio on the phone... but it's just a black screen of nothing-ness on CarPlay.

Spotify works after restarting my radio and phone...

Waze (so far) has not given me a black screen on CarPlay...