Auto CarPlay leveraging the MIC for 'Hey Siri'

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by buckZor, May 5, 2017.

1. buckZor macrumors newbie

buckZor

As many of you CarPlay owners have probably noticed; 'Hey Siri' works if, and only if, your iPhone can hear you say the wake phrase. As soon as your iPhone hears it, the audio of our favorite robotic goddess comes through the CarPlay system and your instructions are picked up by the CarPlay Mic. I keep my iPhone in the glovebox, where my CarPlay connection is. If my car is at idle, I get a response from 'Hey Siri' but if I am rolling down the road I have to use the press and hold button trick on the CarPlay unit to wake up Siri (too much road noise).

I'm wondering if other CarPlay owners have noticed this caveat as well, or if it's something specific to my JVC KW-V820BT system. I haven't made an attempt with Apple Support yet, does anyone think that'd go anywhere?

2. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

I can say "Hey, Siri" while rolling at 75 MPH in our 2017 Dodge Charger (which has CarPlay from the factory) with my iPhone in the centre storage bin, and it works fine.

I think it's more along the lines of JVC includes a crappy mic with their radios. I have a Kenwood KDC-BT958HD in my older BMW M3, and if I'm driving over 60 MPH, it's useless for Bluetooth phone calls because the mic just sends static and engine noise to the person on the other end, the microphone is a really tiny cheap piece of Chinese plastic. Kenwood and JVC are one company, FWIW.

3. buckZor thread starter macrumors newbie

buckZor

Hmm.. now you make me wonder. Are you certain CarPlay leverages the CarPlay mic for 'Hey Siri'? I guess I will do more testing, I am not adverse to getting a new fancy pantsy mic.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Really depends on the head unit or intergrated audio system. There is a thread on apples forums about this issue.