Auto CarPlay - NEX4000 vs AppRadio 4?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by musicpenguy, Oct 10, 2014.

1. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if this is the spot for this (didn't see a special forum for iOS in the Car or anything like that)

Trying to understand the difference between NEX4000 and AppRadio 4 - found the NEX on sale ($545) - and am debating getting that over waiting for AppRadio 4 to hit?

Anyone know what the major differences are?

2. swordfish5736, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

The biggest difference looks to be the nex4000 has a 7" screen and the app radio unit has a 6.2" screen. All the nex units except the 8000 use a resistive touch screen. The 8000 and app radio both use capacitive touch screens. Also noticed even though the app radio has a smaller screen it has the same resolution as the larger nex4000.

The nex4000 retails for $700 and sells on Amazon for $545 as you have found. I'd guess once the app radio 4 unit is released you'll be able to get it for less than $600.

The nex units also support pioneers appradio mode on top of carplay.

3. jeffm5690 macrumors regular

Be very careful with these units on Amazon. Most of them are grey market and do not come with valid warranties...

4. JacksTLOS macrumors member

The BIG/HUGE difference is that the NEX4000 isn't just a Carplay/appradio player. It has the HD Radio/FM radio abilities, DVD Player, probably a better DAC etc. The Appradio 4 doesn't function without an Iphone (Not sure if the Appradio 4 is Mirrorcast capable like the NEX4000).

5. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

It says the app radio has an AM/FM tuner. Pioneers support page says it supports mirrorlink and has the same user interface as the NEX line. The main image for it also shows a UI with Bluetooth, radio, hdmi in, and some other choices so id guess it functions without a device being connected.

It looks like they've put a lot more into this years appradio model.

6. JacksTLOS macrumors member

Well that's new! I don't recall them having FM radios in them when I looked and bought my pioneer radio. Anyways, it still doesn't have other functions. You would need music on a straight USB, Iphone, Android or just basic AM/FM radio. Bluetooth is there.

For a little more though you get a lot more features with the 4000.