Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its iOS 8 Feature Availability page to note that CarPlay can now be used in five additional countries: Denmark, Netherlands, New Zealand, Russia, and Sweden. With the addition of these five countries, CarPlay is now available in a total of 25 countries around the world.

Pioneer-CarPlay-NEX.png
Apple's been expanding CarPlay support to additional countries rapidly in the month of April. On April 8, CarPlay support was added to Brazil, China, India, Thailand, and Turkey.

Due to the wide range of partners Apple has to work with and varying methods of implementing support, CarPlay has been slow to get off the ground. CarPlay continues to be primarily available through aftermarket in-dash systems from companies like Pioneer and Alpine, but several car manufacturers have pledged to release vehicles with support for CarPlay in 2015.

Article Link: CarPlay Now Available in Denmark, Netherlands, New Zealand, Russia and Sweden

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I still have yet to see this in any car. The wireless CarPlay feature is promising but will car manufacturers really adopt this? Many of them have invested so much in developing their own hardware already.

RangerOne

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
California
I still have yet to see this in any car. The wireless CarPlay feature is promising but will car manufacturers really adopt this? Many of them have invested so much in developing their own hardware already.

The manufacturer lineup is rather impressive, but there are only a couple cars with it currently (the Ferrari FF and the Hyundai Sonata is coming). Several manufacturers claim it will hit cars in 2015.

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Manufacturers do have an incentive for implementing it: current in-dash infotainment systems are complete excrement. We drive two new 2015 cars, and iPhone integration is garbage. When you look into the details of their 'mobile device compatibility lists' you see tons of caveats for almost every device. Only a few have most of the functionality the car manufacturers advertise.

Frankly, I'd buy a new car just to get CarPlay. I'm so tired of my broken, irritating system.

Rickiee

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
Netherlands
Navigation

I need it to work with the TomTom app or it is worthless to me.

Absolutely, or even Navigon would be fine with me, basically any of the major offline navigation apps. But I guess car manufacturers don't want this, since they've gotten used to us paying them 1500 euro or more just for their crappy navigation systems. Let's hope they don't want to hold on to the past too much and instead put their customers first. It would be about time...

AppleCorn

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2015
CarPlay and Apple Watch

Hi, I just read that CarPlay uses your iPhone. While it's being used I wonder if the Apple Watch and/or the CarPlay can handle both at the same time?
Hmmm, that would be a bummer if we can't use both at the same time, eh?

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Hi, I just read that CarPlay uses your iPhone. While it's being used I wonder if the Apple Watch and/or the CarPlay can handle both at the same time?
Hmmm, that would be a bummer if we can't use both at the same time, eh?

There's absolutely no reason to suggest they wouldn't work together. CarPlay uses a wired connection, and the Apple Watch connects via Bluetooth. They'll both work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.