CarPlay CarPlay sometimes just doesn't connect or start? ...

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by cmeisenzahl, Nov 13, 2017.

1. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

2018 Subaru Crosstrek with CarPlay. It requires that the phone be connected via USB/Lightning cable. The overwhelming majority of the time simply connecting the phone will make CarPlay available. But once in a while it doesn't. In that case I disconnect and reconnect the iPhone's (iPhone X, previously 7+) Lightning cable and it works.

But once in a while it doesn't. Today I restarted the car, and unplugged/reconnected the phone, and CarPlay never became available.

Using iOS 11.1.1. Any ideas as to what's happening here?

Thanks in advance!

2. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

Sadly, but not surprisingly, restarting the phone fixed it for now.

3. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

I have found on my VW - I have to wait a minute or so after the car "radio" starts to reliably get car play to work. Fortunately, for me, I have a stop sign down the street so I wait until there to plug in car play

4. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

5. Ralfi macrumors 68000

Ralfi

My CarPlay just died today....2016 VW GTI.

It's functionality gradually depleted after many a plugging in of the cable; first I got audio, but no screen (only a 'App Connect is connecting message), then I got nothing but a message on screen saying I need to request App Connect permission from a dealership...

Also, VW Navigation decided I didn't have a compatible version & also refused to work.

& then my phone couldn't even be detected.

So on a day where I needed some form of navigation, none of my options worked.

Had to insert the Airpods & listen to Google Maps turn by turn....which is still better than Apple Maps on CarPlay anyway...

So being a Sunday, I'll need to wait until tomorrow to book the car into VW for what'll most likely be a traumatic experience....

6. Jussayin macrumors newbie

Not just Subarus, I have a 2018 Ford F-350 Platinum and CarPlay fails 20% of the time. I have to connect through Bluetooth at that point to listen to music from my iPhone.

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

For my Honda, I should be getting a software update for the head unit soon. It's supposed to address a bunch of issues, including CarPlay connection problems. I'll try to remember to post the results later.

8. Works4Me macrumors regular

Man I hope there’s some kind of update for my 2016 Civic Touring. Connecting has become very inconsistent. In fact, it’s gotten to the point where I almost don’t care if my next vehicle has CarPlay...

9. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

10. Works4Me macrumors regular

11. nyscott1 macrumors newbie

nyscott1

--- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2018 ---
    I have the same intermittent problems on a Ford Mustang 2917 and a 2018 Cadillacxt5

12. cyclingplatypus macrumors 65816

cyclingplatypus

I've found that sometimes the phone needs to be unlocked before it is recognized.

13. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

I also find that I can't plug it in right away in my 2017 VW. I have to make sure the radio unit is running for a minute or so before I can plug it in - so it is start the car and wait until I get to the stop down the street from me before I can plug in

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

My 3rd party head unit has to boot, then takes a few more seconds to connect. 1 in 1000 it doesn't and I have to unplug and plug again. Just a couple of times I recently got a message where the phone (IP7), needed to be unlocked to access the USB accessory...that went away after a couple of those. Spotify fails much more often, 25% needing the app on the phone restarted before it will run under CarPlay.

15. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is MUCH improved since I switched from an Anker cable to a white Apple cable. Not completely fixed, but probably 80% better.