Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
On iOS 12 now a bit open for GPS apps, Apple maps, Google maps, Waze, is there a way to have speed camera alerts on? Is it only specific apps, presume Apple maps you can't?

Also ideally I'd like to have them alert even when just driving along and no route planned, for example around town where I won't set a route etc.

I'm hoping even if there's an app that can run in background, that will work with CarPlay

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I am not sure about speed cameras, but Waze gives me red-light camera alerts on CarPlay.

Sometimes I think CarPlay takes things too extreme for the sake of safety that it actually makes it less safe.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
So does Waze do the alerts even when you just have it on CarPlay without a route planned?

An old Sat-Nav I had you could have the camera POI on and even when just driving it alerted you.

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
When I use the highway I add my destination even if I know where I’m going cause if there is traffic it will reroute me. Also you get the safety alerts if a car is stopped on the road and the police alerts for speed traps (if other wazers report it)

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I think you get alerts regardless if you enter a destination in.

Just make sure the app is running.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
It seems to be a matter of the app supporting it. Tmap and Kakao Navi both have speeding / red-light camera alerts on their CarPlay displays.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
As long as it's on the map and/or someone has been reported it, Waze will alert you of speed cameras as long as it's running (you don't need to have a route planned in)

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
As long as it's on the map and/or someone has been reported it, Waze will alert you of speed cameras as long as it's running (you don't need to have a route planned in)

Thanks I'll try this. This is exactly what I want as don't always plan a route in as know where I'm going in towns etc.

I use Apple maps normally at mo as like the interface but doesn't seem to have speed cameras which is a pity

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.