Carplay suggestions

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2013
So my car radio is most likely on the way out. I'm bringing the car in on Friday to see, if it is I'm getting a new radio with CarPlay. Besides the stock apps from Apple and apps like Pandora, Audible and TuneIn radio what other apps that are CarPlay supported would people recommend?

bransoj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2013
Not sure where you are located but the MLB app is supported presumably for commentary and if you are UK based then the BBC Radio iPlayer and BBC Sounds app are both supported. A podcast app called Overcast is also supported. As you sort of mention its mainly things like Radio station apps that are supported. I use Whatsapp on my phone but not that often so i dont have it on my CarPlay screen. With the new iOS13 implementation Calendar is now available which is handy if you have locations in entries on there.

Whilst Waze and Google Maps are now available i only use Apple Maps, i really dont like the way Google Maps looks on Carplay and i'm not a fan of Waze on my phone as it seems to sort of take over with lots of notifications and is always using the GPS on the phone. Using Apple Maps it works really well for me especially as it integrates well with your calendar and your phone learning your routine so nearly all the time it suggests the location you want to navigate to without having to search for it.

Looks like this is a sort of list of supported apps :-
https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/12/best-carplay-apps-for-iphone/

Reactions: AustinIllini

Pipper99

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
My primary CarPlay apps are Waze, Apple Music, Overcast, and Tunein Radio. I really like the crowd sourced police and accident indicators in Waze.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tibits

dwfaust

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2011
Waze and Spotify are my 2 most frequently used 3rd party apps. I use WhatsApp as well.
+1 for both.

I use Spotify and Waze constantly, and both iHeartRadio and Overcast fairly regularly. I also have Spotify Stations, Google Maps and MLB At Bat installed for occasional use.

iOS 13 adds support for Calendar, so you can keep up with your schedule, too.

Remington Steel

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2016
Whilst Waze and Google Maps are now available i only use Apple Maps, i really dont like the way Google Maps looks on Carplay and i'm not a fan of Waze on my phone as it seems to sort of take over with lots of notifications and is always using the GPS on the phone. Using Apple Maps it works really well for me especially as it integrates well with your calendar and your phone learning your routine so nearly all the time it suggests the location you want to navigate to without having to search for it.

Looks like this is a sort of list of supported apps :-
https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/12/best-carplay-apps-for-iphone/
Google maps user here. I also don’t like the way Waze seems to always be running in the background (or I haven’t figured out how to turn it off without it being a PIA every time).

bransoj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2013
Google maps user here. I also don’t like the way Waze seems to always be running in the background (or I haven’t figured out how to turn it off without it being a PIA every time).
Yep i've fiddled with a few things and never figured it out so i've gone back to Apple Maps now. There is an option to sort of put it to sleep when you are finished with the app but its a manual process and i didnt always remember to do it and to be honest i'm not sure i trusted it. I didnt get enough out of it to warrant putting up with the behind the scenes stuff especially when i've had no issues with Apple Maps to date.