Carputer - FM or Casette?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mikes63737, Nov 1, 2007.

1. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I'm going to be installing a laptop into my car. I already set everything up from controlling while driving to wireless syncing when the car is in the garage. But... I'm having a really hard time deciding between two crappy audio connections: FM or Casette.

Which one would have the best (least crappy) audio quality? Also, if you use one or the other in your car, what model do you have?

Obviously, I would prefer to use an aux input but my dad doesn't want me to mess with the radio.

Thanks!

Mike

2. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

cassette

Cassette isn't that bad, FM is terrible.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Your dad is okay with you installing a laptop in the car but doesn't want you to mess with the radio?

Weird.

Anyway go with cassette. FM can be spotty.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If your car already has an AUX input ready and willing it would be silly to go any other way. Just find a DIY on a forum dedicated to your type of car and hopefully somebody will have already figured out the pinouts. Yes, you'll probably have to pop your stereo out of the dash, but it will be worth it. Maybe do it while papa is out of town?

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

Nevermind. I thought for a moment you were trying to choose between actual cassette tapes and FM. That wouldn't make any sense in this situation now, would it? :rolleyes:

Cassette is the way to go. It has a wider frequency response. Plus, the FM connection can suffer from a staticky and weak signal.

6. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

OK... I was leaning towards cassette anyway. Now it's decided.

I can't take the radio out because it's "factory" and my dad doesn't want to mess with it. It's a 1992 car, so I don't think that it has an aux input, and I can't find any info online.