Carrier activation restore meltdown

pauld

macrumors regular
Original poster
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have a UK O2 iPhone 3G that I had jailbroken and running on Softbank Japan (where I now live).

In preparation for passing it on to my girlfriend I "cleared all data", stupidly presuming this would just wipe my music/contacts etc, but it made the phone stick on the pineapple logo.

Now when I attempt to restore to an older backup of that phone it shows an error (1006?).

Since the UK O2 sim is dead and I'm not likely to be in the UK for some time, does anyone have any tips on how to reactivate to make a cute girl the proud owner of her first iPhone?

Thanks a lot,

Paul

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Download tinyumbrella and use it to kick the device out of recovery after you have gotten that error.

Comment

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Thanks a lot Ryeno,

Will that also allow a faked "carrier activation"?

Paul
there should be no problem with using an old inactive SIM from the official carrier to activate an iphone.

Comment

pauld

macrumors regular
Original poster
there should be no problem with using an old inactive SIM from the official carrier to activate an iphone.
It's possibly not working because the network is in the UK and I'm in Japan (so even if the sim was active it'd show a different carrier.

Unfortunately that tinyumbrella isn't helping much either :confused:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.