Carrier activation restore meltdown

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by pauld, Aug 6, 2010.

1. pauld macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have a UK O2 iPhone 3G that I had jailbroken and running on Softbank Japan (where I now live).

In preparation for passing it on to my girlfriend I "cleared all data", stupidly presuming this would just wipe my music/contacts etc, but it made the phone stick on the pineapple logo.

Now when I attempt to restore to an older backup of that phone it shows an error (1006?).

Since the UK O2 sim is dead and I'm not likely to be in the UK for some time, does anyone have any tips on how to reactivate to make a cute girl the proud owner of her first iPhone?

Thanks a lot,

Paul

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Download tinyumbrella and use it to kick the device out of recovery after you have gotten that error.

3. pauld thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot Ryeno,

Will that also allow a faked "carrier activation"?

Paul

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

there should be no problem with using an old inactive SIM from the official carrier to activate an iphone.

5. pauld thread starter macrumors regular

It's possibly not working because the network is in the UK and I'm in Japan (so even if the sim was active it'd show a different carrier.

Unfortunately that tinyumbrella isn't helping much either :confused: