Carrier: AT&T 3.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevster89, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

So I was flipping through my iPhone 3G's settings a couple minutes ago and wanted to see how much available space I currently have remaining on my iPhone.

So I went into "Settings -> General -> About" in order to do so. While in this section of my settings, I noticed that under carrier I have "AT&T 3.1" listed. Previously it was just noted at "AT&T." Why exactly does it now include 3.1? What does this even mean? Any other USA iPhone users have the same info listed under carrier?

Thanks guys! :) :apple:

2. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Hey, I heard this was new! Anyone else got it yet?

4. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

At least you googled it for him, while making your point, instead of just telling him to F-off or something like some posters would.

5. Ekelon macrumors newbie

Unfortunately one of the first results returned is this exact thread. That's epic fail.

I did find this though...

But haha I really love that website.

6. jctevere macrumors 6502

Yup, pretty much just to clarify what everyone said, the new At&t 3.1 carrier distinguishment means that the iPhone is now capable of utilizing Micro Cell technology. I am not sure if you noticed, but after connecting your iPhone to iTunes it asked to download an update for the carrier setting. The micro cell is a device on At&t's end which infuses the At&t service and information into the internet which will allow At&t customers to purchase a "femtocell" or better known as mini cellular tower for placement at home to gain access to the At&t network.

This femtocell will transmit an At&t 3g signal covering almost 5,000 square feet and must be connected to the internet via broadband access. However, it is not yet known if At&t will follow in Sprint's footsteps and provide the device for free but charge a $6 monthly fee or Verizon's approach to provide the service for a one-time fee of $249.

In reality, it may cost more than Sprint's service because unlike At&t's technology, Sprint's femtocell can only achieve 2G speeds. Personally I think this is great as it allows people who live in dead spots with internet access to connect to the At&t network.