Carrier Bundles

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cchase8875432, Aug 13, 2015.

1. cchase8875432 macrumors member

I am using Net10 on a AT&T carrier locked iPhone 5s. I heard the Verizon version of it got better singal in my area. I copied and pasted to contents of the CDMA version to ATT_TFW_US carrier bundle. I decided I would restore it and now when I click on carrier I have a PRL pop up and I get no signal unless outside. How bad did I mess up my phone?

2. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

LOL, you're screwed, throw the phone away. JK.

Why not just do a restore? You'll be good to go!

3. cchase8875432 thread starter macrumors member

i got it fixed lol. A regular Restore didn't do it. I had to use Cydia Impactor and that fixed it haha

4. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

If you do a DFU restore (full factory restore), it most certainly will fix it.

Cydia Impactor just cleans stuff up and keeps the jailbreak. I would HIGHLY recommend doing a complete factory restore to 8.4 and re-jailbreak while you can. A cydia impactor is designed to just fix issues when you can't jailbreak, as a last resort. Any issues that persisted before could still present issues down the road, so may as well jailbreak while you can.

You may want to educate yourself on what you're doing, or you're going to screw up your phone again. You got into the pickle because you just pressed buttons and hoped for the best, not understanding what you were doing. You may want to take advice from others who know more this time.

5. cchase8875432 thread starter macrumors member

So a DFU restore should get rid of the PRL. What confused me was I use a GSM carrier and not a CDMA carrier

6. cchase8875432 thread starter macrumors member

is it possible I messed up the files on the SIM card or just service is sucking at my house. My step mom has Verizon on Net10 and has excellent Service. My and my little sister have AT&T on net10. Our phones are both losing service unless outside and dropping calls even then. Except my sisters iPhone has never been jailbroken before.

7. chriscrowlee, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015

chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

There are no files on the sim card.

I would REALLY recommend you don't mess with stuff you don't understand. It's one thing to want to tinker, but you're clearly not yet ready to be moving carrier files.

8. cchase8875432 thread starter macrumors member

I understand what you're saying. I have done this before Pre iOS 8.4 and never had a problem. I think the problem may be due to AT&T messing up

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Stay away from unofficial carrier bundles.
    They are optimized and updated by the carrier for optimal coverage, reliability and battery performance. Not something any joe should mess with thinking it will improve carrier connection.

10. cchase8875432 thread starter macrumors member

Turns out my crappy signal isn't because of my ignorance. Its cause we have a music festival going on near my home. Almost 200,00 people are there

11. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

Nope, that wouldn't affect your signal. Possibly the ability to use the signal, but more people on a network doesn't decrease the signal level, it just reduces the available backhaul for making calls and data speeds. However any 200k+ attendee event, the big 2 cell companies almost always bring in COWs (cell towers on wheels) to accommodate.

You're going to have to face the fact that you screwed with the carrier bundle and messed it up. LOL

12. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

PS, the Willamette Country Music Festival does NOT have 200k attendees. It's permitted for up to 15,000 attendees per day.. which means they likely have half that. Not a cause for your issues for sure.

13. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

This is not true. It removes the jailbreak and fixes broken system files. Essentially this tool is a complete restore without having to update to the latest iOS version.

This tool is nothing like Semi-Restore or iLex Rat.

14. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

You realize what you're saying, right? "fixes broken system files... and essentially a restore" ... LOL.

My car broke down... they replaced the engine ... so it's essentially replacing the car with a new one. haha

15. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

How ironic your words are, so funny. You might want to learn yourself before giving it 'the big I am'

Have a little read about what exactly impactor is, it might save your blushes in the future.

16. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

I'm very familiar with it and what it does. My point is we're in the very small window in time where one can still restore to 8.4 since it's still being signed even tough 8.4.1 is now out. Impactor fixes many issues and does a great job, but it's not a complete factory restore. If YOU were in his shoes, and had the option to make 100% certain you're factory restored and clean jailbreak, or an Impactor scrub, which would you chose? Of course you'd chose a factory restore. Impactor may give a 80% success rate in fixing issues, but a factory restore gives 100% success, and you may not have the ability to factory restore and jailbreak tomorrow if Apple stops signing 8.4.

So if you want to give bad advice and call me names, so be it. But YOU might want to think about that advice you give to others. It's bad advice in today's jailbreak climate with 8.4 on the cusp of no longer being signed, and no jailbreak available for 8.4.1

17. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

My response wasn't to what the OP should do with his issue, it was to your understanding as to what that tool actually does.

18. chriscrowlee, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015

chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

Now you're just back pedaling... I understand what the tool does, and clearly you do too and are just being purposely confrontational at this point. OBVIOUSLY a full restore provides more likely fix, and is the best solution given the current state of jailbreak, and likely limited signing window remaining on 8.4 ... if you don't agree that Impactor is a BETTER option in 100% of the circumstances, then I think it's you who doesn't understand what it does. It cleans the closet ... it doesn't empty the closet and start fresh.

I'm done with this argument.... it's clear you're trying to backtrack now, and I won't have a part of it.

OP - your BEST bet at this point is a full restore and re-jailbreak, and you can sleep at night knowing if there are any problem remnants you got rid of them. Or you can take Howdy Hank's suggestion and use the dust mop and try to clean things up... but tomorrow when Apple stops signing iOS 8.4 and you can't restore and jailbreak when you find the dust mop left a couple spots of dirt, don't come whining in here.

19. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I'm just saying that there is no difference between doing a restore or running Cydia Impactor. All damaged to missing system files are replaced from Apple servers. Cydia Impactor is just another way for us to restore our devices. It's truly remarkable.

There is a nice description on what this tool does and how it does it in this website. https://cydia.saurik.com/info/com.saurik.impactor/

20. cchase8875432 thread starter macrumors member

I'm off iOS 8.4. I'm on iOS 9 beta 5. To me its worth not having a jailbreak

21. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

OK, mods, please close this thread. OP's question is now officially "We're done here." status.

22. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

Why do you think you know more than the creator of the app?

https://cydia.saurik.com/info/com.saurik.impactor/

23. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

There are many tweaks that don't do what they claim. Anyhow, as I stated, IT IS NOT A FULL RESTORE, and it even says that in the description, so stop being argumentative. It's designed to give someone an option who doesn't have the ability to do a full restore.