Carrier Locating

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RatHat, Jul 1, 2011.

1. RatHat macrumors member

My iPhone 4 3G has a big problem when trying to locate a new carrier after getting off a flight.

For example, I regularly have to fly from Jakarta (where I am based) to Kuala Lumpur. I set the phone to Airplane Mode when I get on the flight, along with my iPad. On arrival in KL, I switch Airplane Mode off on both, and the iPad picks up the local Malaysian carriers within a minute or so, so I can start receiving my email again.

The iPhone on the other hand, remains searching for a carrier for up to 30 minutes, and usually doesnt pick one up until I am through immigration and in a taxi heading into the city.

This happens in every country, even when I return to Jakarta where my SIM card is from.

Is there anything that can be done to change this?

2. jg2693 macrumors newbie

Underneath the location services button in settings, when looking for signal, usually pops up with "Carrier".. Perhaps you can try going there and trying selecting the carrier... Or you can try resetting your network settings by going to General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.. If all else fails, restore the phone or maybe even try a new SIM card.

3. RatHat thread starter macrumors member

I have tried manual locating, and that is also very slow. This is also my second SIM card, so, I dont think that is the problem. Will definitely try resetting network settings though.

Thanks for the input.