Carrier locked iPhone :(

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by amitabhbansal, Sep 15, 2017.

1. amitabhbansal macrumors 6502

hi, yesterday my sister came from Japan to India, she bought iPhone 4 a long time back only from Japan and she was not aware that the phone was factory locked, when she used Indian sim in the phone its showing no service, please guide me to jailbreak and unlock the phone to use it in India
    Thanks

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Jailbreaking and unlocking are two entirely different things and what you want do do has not been possible for the last six years.

Either pay for a third party unlock or buy a Gevey or R-SIM interposer.

Considering the phone is locked to a carrier in Japan, your chances of getting the phone unlocked by a third party unlock service are not good.

3. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

With the R-SIM, could I buy an SE tied to a unknown prepaid carrier, use the R-SIM, and then be connected to Verizon?

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Technically? Yes.

Realistically? Who knows.

Geveys and R-SIMs have a specific set of requirements for them to work. Certain firmware versions, jailbreaks, etc. How they work is to conduct a Man-In-The-Middle attack on the SIM card, fooling it into believing it's on it's native network when it isn't. So, all those requirements have to be met for it all to work.

As SIM-Interposers they aren't really unlocks because the device is still locked without it.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The chances are very very slim so here's the only way you could unlock it.
    It needs to be on baseband version 01.59.00 (this was the firmware that came bundled with the iPhone 4, so you may still have this baseband if you haven't upgraded any higher than iOS 4.0.1
    I know that is a very very far stretch.
    If the device is on anything higher than that baseband or firmware version then you cannot unlock it via JB and software hack.
    Not really sure about the gevey sim adapters, those are not very reliable.
    The device is ancient anyway so mind as well get something newer than a 7 year old dinosaur :D

6. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Buy a phone card for long distance calls and call the carrier in Japan, ask them for unlock code.

Yes, they do speak English over there.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not 100% but I heard that Japan carriers dont unlock iphones.

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yeah, it's pretty tough to do that over there.

Softbank in particular won't, under any circumstance.