iPhone Carrier-Locked LTE Bands

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by profinite, Dec 15, 2012.

1. profinite macrumors member

First, we have this official information from Apple.

An Apple store employee has told me that, when I purchase an Apple-unlocked (GSM) iPhone 5, its LTE bands are locked to the carrier whose SIM that I insert into the phone.

This is a very important question. And, I want to make sure that we have the right information.
    Am I correct to assume that, with an Apple-unlocked iPhone 5, any GSM LTE bands (1,3,4, 5, and 17) can be active as long as an inserted SIM supports them?

That is:
    [1] Insert an AT&T SIM in the U.S., and LTE bands 4 & 17 are active.
    [2] Insert a Softbank SIM in Japan, and their LTE bands become active.
    [3] Insert a Deutshe Telekom SIM in Germany, and their LTE bands become active.

Am I correct? :confused:

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

My understanding is the unlocked version they're selling in the stores are the AT&T models that simply have the lock not applied, thus it's still a US\CAN phone. Obviously they're not selling A1429s or everyone buying them would be unable to use ATT LTE here at home, hehe

3. profinite thread starter macrumors member

shenan1982 – That's the core of my question.

[1] Do A1428 and A1429 GSM have internally identical electronics except that A1428 has only LTE Bands 4 & 17 for AT&T enabled while A1429 GSM has only LTE Bands 1, 3, and 5 enabled?

Or

[2] Do A1428 and A1429 GSM have internally different electronics in that A1428 has a circuit that supports only LTE Bands 4 & 17 and A1429 GSM has a different circuit that supports only LTE Bands 1, 3, and 5?

Am I correct that you are saying [2] is the case?
    I am hoping that [1] is the case because, then, I would wonder if someone can open up LTE Bands 1, 3, and 5 for me.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they have different internal LTE radios.
    You cannot open up or whatever you're talking about radios/LTE bands that dont exist on that hardware.
    Its a hardware limitation, not software.
    That's why they are different models.

5. profinite thread starter macrumors member

Applejuiced – Thank you. That's what I was afraid of.

I have finally located an Apple webpage that has a definitive answer to my question.
    [1] Try to buy an iPhone 5.
    [2] Select color.
    [3] Then, click on "Or Or get iPhone unlocked and contract-free".

Then, below the row of three different models (sizes), Apple has this statement:

"The unlocked iPhone only works on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5 from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 5 is model A1428. For details on LTE support see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint."