Carrier name

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Merkie, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Merkie macrumors 68020

When will be able to hide the carrier name? I know which carrier I have. I pay them every month. No need to show it every single moment when the display is on. Just show it once on the lockscreen or whatever.

I sometimes can't see my battery percentage because there are too many icons. Would not happen if Apple didn't reserve this enormous amount of space for an unnecessary ugly carrier name.

It's been bugging me for years. :mad:

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I think this is the best place for your post.. https://www.apple.com/feedback/

3. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

4. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

maybe once Apple OKs Carrier logos and carrier supplied Apps on the iPhones

5. andijames macrumors member

Doesn't this happen on every handset out there? Or am i missing something?

Actually scratch that: Apparently doesn't show on Android devices. Well you learn something new every day!

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I 100% agree. I said this to apple in the feed back thing months back. I said I want it to say iPhone like an iPad or iPod would. I really don't give a **** about At&t. I hate seeing that logo all the time. There should be a setting for this.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What? Where's your battery icon? Mine is on the right. And my carrier info is on the left.

And since the clock always stays centered I don't see how removing the carrier info will have any effect on the battery info.

8. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

if theres too many status bar icons, battery percentage gets removed...

9. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Which are on the right side. This person may have a point. You can test it out yourself. Make it so the battery percentage disappears because of too many icons. Put your phone in Airplane mode. Does the battery percentage return?

10. KrisLord macrumors 65816

When I was in France I was roaming onto a network with a long name - I was surprised to see the data loading spinning symbol to the right of the clock. I thought it was a bug in iOS 8 at first!

11. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

No, it doesn't, but you could show some icons on the left side which is currently not possible.

----------

I think it is a bug, because long carrier names usually get cut off.

12. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

I guess they could allow hiding your 'home' carrier name?
    But network name is forced to show while roaming?

Imagine the chaos between 3 (Hong Kong), 3 (Macau) and 3 (UK).
    Would be frustration if its always hidden.

----------

If I recall correctly, "unauthorised" long carrier names get cut off.
    But official carriers usually work with Apple to show their full name on the left.

My spinning wheel dumps to the right when the LTE logo shows and remains on the left when on 3G & wifi.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Apple doesn't allow carriers to put their name/branding (physically) onto the phones themselves, while other devices allow for that where your phone can sometimes look like an advertisement for the carrier (heck, the Verizon Samsung Note 2 or 3 had Verizon branding on the home button in addition to other places, talk about ridiculous). So, that's pretty much the tradeoff: for not having it on the phone itself they have it in the OS in the status bar. That, and it can be useful in situations when roaming and/or switching carriers in some other way is involved.