iPhone X Carrier recommend: Time to give ATT the finger....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Attirex, May 4, 2019.

1. Attirex, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019

Attirex macrumors 6502a

Howdy:

I've been an ATT subscriber for years, going back to when I had a Cingular Wireless flip phone, ca. 2004 or so, and then the first iPhone and on up to my current iPhone X. I've had no real problems with ATT, but expected my bill would get raised at some point, and it finally has. I was on the 2GB/mo. plan, and apparently they bumped that to 4GB and raised my bill by $10/mo.

So....buh bye (at least until my kids are old enough for phones, then will prob have to go back to ATT for a family plan).

My profile/needs:
    --iPhone X (ATT, paid in full, not unlocked)
    --Very light data user (I typically didn't exceed 10% of my 2GB/mo plan), as I'm on Wifi 98% of the time and don't travel tons.
    --Unlimited text (primary form of communication).
    --Visual VM not a necessity.
    --I live close to an urban area (Boston/Northeast US), but the ATT service in my immediate area/town sucks, so as long as I get one bar (what I currently get inside my house) or even more, I'm golden.
    --Would like to get back down to around $50 or so a month. A little higher is fine.

SO--has anyone had good experience with one of the cheapie MVNO plans? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks so much!

2. radiologyman macrumors 6502a

Is your X an ATT model or a factory unlocked/CDMA version?

3. now i see it macrumors 68040

There's only one other choice: Verizon.
    Sprint has the absolute worst customer service on planet earth. Abysmal

4. HobbesInVA macrumors regular

HobbesInVA

5. sevoneone macrumors 6502

Google Fi has recently added limited support for iPhone. Heard mixed reviews, but might be worth checking out.

6. Attirex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for info so far! Yeah, I've heard Verizon MVNOs are good. I'm avoiding Sprint.

And unfortunately, my X is an ATT model, not unlocked. I did save the ATT URL for requesting an unlock so...I guess that's something.....

7. HobbesInVA macrumors regular

HobbesInVA

The ATT model will only connect to Verizon LTE. If you’re in a situation where you can only get Non-LTE, the ATT model is useless.

8. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

You def need to do some research of people who has better reception in town. Then, unlock your device using AT&T portal which you should get a response back within 24 hours if it is paid off. Get the prepaid plan from Verizon $35 a month or T-Mobile pay as you go starting at $3 or $40 Simple Plan or check out their MVNO counterparts. If you have WiFi at home, you can enable WiFi Calling. The device you have is GSM only which you may be limited to only Verizon GSM bands so you will miss out on their full coverage (GSM & CDMA).

Here is a list of all MVNO https://bestmvno.com/mvnos/

9. radiologyman macrumors 6502a

10. Attirex thread starter macrumors 6502a

All very helpful info, thanks. The prepaid Verizon plans look reasonable, and I'm not averse to trading in the X for an unlocked XR when the new iPhone models are out in Sept if that will make things easier. My wife just got an XR and it's a nice phone.

11. blkjedi954 macrumors member

blkjedi954

I disagree

12. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

Wide opeN

I'd recommend T-Mobile or Xfinity Mobile pay as you go.

T-Mobile has the best prices and most perks. Xfinity is Verizon but for cheap.

I actually have both setup with dual sim. T-Mobile is my primary and Xfinity is my backup. That combination can't be beat IMO.

Sprint is trash and Verizon is both over hyped and priced.

YMMV

13. HobbesInVA macrumors regular

HobbesInVA

That sounds like a good plan. A unlocked XR will allow you to try the other carriers and MVNOs. A good option would be to ask others in your area about their carrier's service.

I was a ATT Wireless customer up to July 2018 (17 years) and left for Verizon because ATT's coverage in Virginia Beach degraded over time. When I moved to Verizon, I had to switch out my iPhone (ATT Model) to an unlocked model so I could access the CDMA bands if required.

14. uller6 macrumors regular

uller6

I just switched from ATT with my ATT iPhone X to Verizon. I’m in DC with relatively good service for both carriers, but switched because I was tired of ATT jacking up the price of my grandfathered plan every few months.

The ATT model iPhone X works great with Verizon LTE. In general ATT was noticeably faster but higher latency, and I get much better service inside buildings with Verizon. I’d rather have slower service than no service at all half the time. The phone can’t get Verizon 3G, but Verizon is turning off that network Dec 31 and after that this won’t be an issue. Can you last 6 months without 3G fallback service?

15. HobbesInVA macrumors regular

HobbesInVA

Once Verizon shuts down 3G it won't be an issue. Until then it's up to the individual if he/she needs 3G. About a month ago, my phone dropped down to 3G and then 1X because my doctor's office is deep within a hospital. At the time, I needed the option to receive CDMA because my dad's health was taking a turn for the worse and required it so I could be reached.

16. Attirex thread starter macrumors 6502a

RE: Verizon dropping 3G support in six months....

I think the last time I was on a 3G network for an extended period of time was about four years ago when I was in the boondocks of Maine (at one point, both I and my wife noticed we were roaming on a random, possibly, Canadian network). It will also happen for a few minutes randomly if, for example, I'm on an elevator or other hard-to-reach spot.

Otherwise, I don't think I use enough cell service for lack of 3G support on my X to be a major issue. I'm not that important or critical to anyone. :)

17. Aliciakeystx macrumors newbie

a middle finger to them? yes!!!
    Att has the worst customer service!

18. radiologyman macrumors 6502a

So Xfinity mobile can run on eSIM?

19. cbreze macrumors 6502a

cbreze

A poster above mentioned google fi, sounds crazy but it works fantastic for some people depending on your location. Sounds like you use very little data which is perfect for that provider. Unlimited talk and text for $20 a month and pay $10 per gigabyte for data which is prorated so 100 MB is one dollar etc. used to be all google phones but they’ve recently started allowing iPhones. Worth a look. The android phones can run an E-sim not positive about iPhones but that could be another option. Very easy set up.

20. blkjedi954 macrumors member

blkjedi954

Again I disagree. Sprint in my area gets me 100Mb down while T-Mobile is anorexic with averages of 15Mb down. So when you make blanket statements like that it is objectively inaccurate. What you should be including in your statement is your area of service and your carrier experience. So like I said, I disagree - South Fl here, Coral Springs area more specifically.

21. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

Wide opeN

No, I have it on the physical.

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have not had any problems with AT&T and have been with them for years and years.!

If I did ever change . . . .likely Verizon.

23. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

Try crickets wireless. They use at&t towers so coverage is the same and you pay much less. I pay $35 a month for 5gb.

24. webbga macrumors member

webbga

They raised mine by $5.00 a month and bumped up my wireless plan to 5 gig. I called and asked them why they did not ask me first if I needed or wanted 5 gig (which I don't), and they said the announcement was in the last billing. Now I ask you, who reads all of the fine print in the bill when your billing is on automatic withdrawal and the withdrawal does not change from month to month? I told them, politely, that this was a bad practice and gives the impression that AT&T is attempting to slip the increase by people hoping they won't notice or won't take any action. They rolled me back to my old price and apologized.

25. Attirex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good to know. I should've complained, but unfortunately, I already paid my bill so is probably a tacit acknowledgement/approval of my forced "upgrade." :-(

I've had my eye on Cricket--good pricing for light data users and bc they're an ATT MVNO, the switch would be relatively painless. But on the downside, I'd still be giving ATT my business/money (indirectly).

Hm.