Carrier Selection Menu?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMacZealot, Dec 6, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

So, I powered my iPhone on tonight about five minutes ago after just syncing it with iTunes and I go into settings, and underneath WiFi, I see a "Carrier" menu. I'll select it, and it will move onto the next screen, and just now, I have a choice between Automatic, AT&T, and AT&T (????).

Has anybody else noticed this? I searched and got nothing. I'm running a virgin 1.1.2 build 3B48b.

2. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

3. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I think this is a carry over from European models. My unlocked iPhone in the UK has this menu populated with all the major UK carriers apart from 3 for obvious reasons.

Quite what the point of it is I don't know. Any ideas? Roaming?

4. alFR macrumors 68020

I think it's so you can select a particular carrier when roaming, so if your home carrier has a special agreement with an overseas carrier you can make sure that you use that one when roaming.

5. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

It's for overseas carriers, it's just like the men on my RAZR on Vodaphone where I can select carriers such as Cingular.

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

It's meant for more than just international roaming. That menu is also there to switch between domestic roaming carriers as well (though if you have a fraction of coverage with AT&T, the tower won't let you switch.)

I bought my iPhone in this country in September and haven't done anything to it. I just think that it's weird that it suddenly appears on my iPhone under no apparent cause, and then disappears a few minutes later.

So nobody in America has seen this menu?

7. Eddiestein macrumors member

I'm in the US and have this menu on my unlocked iPhone (1.1.1, week 44) using T-Mobile.

The options are Automatic, T-Mobile, and AT&T. I figured that T-Mobile has a roaming agreement with AT&T but when I choose that and try to place a call, it tells me my selected network is no longer available. So I left it at T-Mobile.

Eddie

8. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

if your home carrier has a dot of coverage, you can use that and only that carrier.

I just thought it was weird that it showed up on my locked iPhone.

9. Eddiestein macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Indeed, it is set to T-Mobile only. I would never roam on NSAT&T.

Eddie

10. Dave B macrumors member

I drove from LA to Washington DC with my unlocked tmobile iPhone and it picked up lots of different carriers on the way, AT&T being one of them. Quite a few I didn't even recognise but the phone still worked fine for phone calls and sms.

Dave