Carrier Carrier settings help

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by illucent17, Oct 18, 2015.

1. illucent17 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I may be beating a dead horse, buuuut still looking for some help.

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 6 that I use for traveling, which most of the time is in Ethiopia. About 8 months ago, they switched on LTE, got my sim upgraded and it worked great for about five months or so. At which point, I somewhat stupidly signed up for the public beta versions of iOS 9, which promptly shut off all LTE. Initially, I figured it might be a bug in the beta, so left it, but I've never been able to get it back and working.

A couple of other data points:

- I've tried the sim in my iPad, gets LTE fine, so doubtful it's a problem with the sim.

- I'm on Carrier 22.0

- I've put in a couple of foreign sim cards, trying to a signal here that is roaming, while connected to wireless in the hope that it would force a carrier update that would bring back LTE, but no dice.

- I have experimented with various settings under the 'LTE APN' under cellular data, you guessed it, also no luck

- Ethio Telecom is not an Apple Supported carrier, but seemed to work fine four-five months ago.

Any thoughts, ideas, knock-knock jokes or helpful suggestions welcome.

2. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

settings>general>reset>reset network settings You tried that yet?

3. illucent17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, a few times - also no luck.

Other things tried:

- Full restore
    - Wipe and clean install
    - New APN settings/profile download from unlockit.co.nz
    - Toggling every switch back and forth imaginable (Airplane mode, LTE vs 3G vs 2G, cellular data)
    - Removing sim card and doing soft reset, then turning back on, and re-inserting sim card
    - Replacing the carrier settings file in the MobileSync backup folder

Things I haven't been willing/stupid enough to try:

- Anything that is to do with terminal

4. Attack Eagle macrumors newbie

Attack Eagle

5. illucent17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm... Really??

I was under the impression that the carrier settings and the iOS were separate, and I do get LTE in other countries/networks with iOS 9. Also, even if I was still able to downgrade easily, I think the carrier settings would remain.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

There is no going back at this point.

7. illucent17 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. archvile macrumors regular

archvile

9. solodogg macrumors 6502

maybe a stupid question, but are you sure they didn't update the phone to show 4G instead of LTE in the status bar? I know quite a few of the European carriers show 4G when connected to LTE networks (and I wish the US would adopt this also), and LTE is never displayed.

10. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

This was my first thought as well. You can verify what connection you're actually using by turning on field test mode. Enter the following in the dialer.

*3001#12345#*

This should open the field test app. If you're connected using LTE, it should say "connected mode LTE intra-frequency" on the second line.

11. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

I could be wrong, but I don't think Ethio Telecom provides an iPhone-specific carrier settings file. Not all networks do, and it shouldn't prevent your phone from working properly on the network. The last time I was there (January of this year), popping in a local SIM card caused basically every cellular-related option on the phone to be visible (the carrier settings file can tell the phone which ones to display to the user), and I also had to enter my APN info manually to set up things like personal hotspot.

Also, have you confirmed that the LTE network is currently operational? Ethio Telecom is a government monopoly and can be a tad flaky at times.