Carrier update 30.1 on 11.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WolfSnap, Oct 31, 2017.

1. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

just got offered a carrier update. Updated from 30.0 to 30.1.

2. donawalt macrumors 6502

donawalt

I just got it too. I wonder what it does, couldn't find any info on the internet...

3. lindros2 macrumors member

My first guess was something related to the iPhone X, but that doesn't make much sense.

Carrier update 29.1 was support for Project Loon; adding emergency 900Mhz (LTE band 8). So maybe similar?

4. georgejr macrumors newbie

I got the same update from Verizon yesterday.

5. donawalt macrumors 6502

donawalt

Actually I think 29.1 was an update that tunnels Personal Hotspot data through a new APN, this allows AT&T to keep track of how much tethering data you are using vs. regular phone data. version 30.0 was Prroject Loon.

6. jtrue28 macrumors 6502a

jtrue28

Anything to do with voice mail transcription being broken after updating to 11.0? My wife hates 11.0, for that simple reason. It was supposedly an AT&T problem.

7. donawalt macrumors 6502

donawalt

I have not seen any notice of what 30.1 is, but re: your wife's problem, my daughter had the same - she fixed it by calling her phone number. It took her to her to voicemail, she entered her VM password, she listened to the messages, hung up, (she my have then reset her phone), and the transcription and VVM was back - although it did remove any voice mails older than like 30 days or so. It sounds like the AT&T system had to reconnect with the phone or something. YMMV.

8. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Seems like a few carriers got a similar update. They happen here and there (with and without iOS updates) and often we don't really know what's part of them.

9. jtrue28 macrumors 6502a

jtrue28

Yeah, we found a thread on AT&T forums and went step by step to get it to work again. Problem now is, it's intermittent.

10. dysert macrumors regular

Where do you find the version number for the carrier information?

11. jtrue28 macrumors 6502a

jtrue28

Settings -> General -> About look for the Carrier line towards the bottom of the screen.

12. dysert macrumors regular

Excellent. I learned something. BTW I’m in Dallas and updated to latest iOS on ATT iPhone 6s plus and no carrier update yet. Maybe it is just for newer phones.

13. ridenourda03 macrumors member

ridenourda03

I also got the carrier update on my AT&T iPhone and AT&T iPad. I was wondering what was new in the update too.

14. tresmith macrumors 6502

When I got the update I was hoping for wifi-calling and HD voice. I'm on ATT prepaid and we don't get those features. Don't know why.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    Carrier updates are to improve the way the device communicates and connects to the carriers network. They don't do anything different or add any iOS features that you will notice.

16. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Sometimes they can add or basically expose something that wasn't before, like WiFi calling can appear if a carrier starts supporting it or something like that. But, yeah, in an overall sense, they don't have new features that they add or anything like that.

17. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Where are you guys getting info on what updates do?

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, that would be a nice and noticeable addition. :)
    But 90% of the time is settings and changes behind the scenes that the average consumer won't notice.