Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
This is my first iPhone and today I got a notification - An update is available from your carrier. Update now or Not Now. I chose Update now.

I've never seen this before with my old android phones - My question is how do we know what exactly this update improved? It does not tell you...

I have ATT by the way. Thanks.

AMTYVLE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Florida
I saw that. But it'd be great if they told you exactly what each update was improving....instead of playing a guessing game.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I saw that. But it'd be great if they told you exactly what each update was improving....instead of playing a guessing game.

Unfortunately, the contents of the carrier update is up to the carrier, and they're very cagey about how they configure phones for their networks.

My guess is AT&T is either adding LTE channels, or about to throw the switch on VoLTE in a few more cities. In order for phones to take advantage of either, the carrier settings files needs to reflect it. The same will be true for WiFi calling, if and when AT&T gets around to enabling that.

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
So riddle me this. Plugged my Verizon 6 on T-Mobile to my computer and iTunes said there was a carrier update. Was it for T-Mobile or Verizon I wonder.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So riddle me this. Plugged my Verizon 6 on T-Mobile to my computer and iTunes said there was a carrier update. Was it for T-Mobile or Verizon I wonder.

I think it is based on the SIM in the phone. That is why my Verizon iPhone shows T-Mobile under carrier in settings.

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
Pretty sure it's for tbe VoLTE

Mine was turned on today, but didn't see a carrier update. Oh well! :)

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
So here is a question.

If you insert a sim for one network and a carrier update occurs which removes a feature. In my case the 3G Toggle in settings.

And you insert another Networks SIM card I'm wondering if another carrier update from the new network would replace the lost setting ?

solodogg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Orlando
So here is a question.

If you insert a sim for one network and a carrier update occurs which removes a feature. In my case the 3G Toggle in settings.

And you insert another Networks SIM card I'm wondering if another carrier update from the new network would replace the lost setting ?

yes, that's exactly what happens. T-Mobile allows me to update carrier settings (APN, etc.), so that option shows up with a T-MO card inserted. When I insert an AT&T or Verizon card, the option goes away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.