Carrier Update...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AMTYVLE, Dec 12, 2014.

1. AMTYVLE macrumors regular

AMTYVLE

This is my first iPhone and today I got a notification - An update is available from your carrier. Update now or Not Now. I chose Update now.

I've never seen this before with my old android phones - My question is how do we know what exactly this update improved? It does not tell you...

I have ATT by the way. Thanks.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. AMTYVLE thread starter macrumors regular

AMTYVLE

I saw that. But it'd be great if they told you exactly what each update was improving....instead of playing a guessing game.

4. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Unfortunately, the contents of the carrier update is up to the carrier, and they're very cagey about how they configure phones for their networks.

My guess is AT&T is either adding LTE channels, or about to throw the switch on VoLTE in a few more cities. In order for phones to take advantage of either, the carrier settings files needs to reflect it. The same will be true for WiFi calling, if and when AT&T gets around to enabling that.

6. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

So riddle me this. Plugged my Verizon 6 on T-Mobile to my computer and iTunes said there was a carrier update. Was it for T-Mobile or Verizon I wonder.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think it is based on the SIM in the phone. That is why my Verizon iPhone shows T-Mobile under carrier in settings.

8. Paco II macrumors 65816

Carrier updates are definitely based on the installed SIM

9. dkh587 macrumors regular

Pretty sure it's for tbe VoLTE

Mine was turned on today, but didn't see a carrier update. Oh well! :)

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

So here is a question.

If you insert a sim for one network and a carrier update occurs which removes a feature. In my case the 3G Toggle in settings.

And you insert another Networks SIM card I'm wondering if another carrier update from the new network would replace the lost setting ?

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

No way of knowing. The carrier chooses not to share such information. I also got the ATT notice and updated but I notice no difference, no leap in performance. :apple:

12. solodogg macrumors 6502

yes, that's exactly what happens. T-Mobile allows me to update carrier settings (APN, etc.), so that option shows up with a T-MO card inserted. When I insert an AT&T or Verizon card, the option goes away.