carrier update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fenderbass146, Mar 30, 2009.

1. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

i just plugged in my iphone with the tmobile sim in it for the first time.

It asked if I want to do a carrier update. do i want to do it seeing how I am using tmobile in the US will it mess it up.

2. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

I think so

Hi
    I also have an unlocked phone running on t-mobile. I did the carrier update by accident a few months ago. I wasn't having any issues, but I received a bill from t-mobile with $18 bucks in roaming fees on a recent trip to Santa Barbara. I have the nationwide unlimited plan for 39 bucks so shouldn't have any fees.

I called t-mobile and after waiting for about 10 minutes while the CSR combed through my account I received a credit on the bill for the $18 bucks.

I asked the rep what happened and he chalked it up to a fluke/flaw with my handset. He stated that for one reason or another my phone was specifically hitting another carriers towers when t-mobile towers were in range.... He said that I received the charges because of rules in the billing system (probably old rules)

It is my assumption that the carrier update does something to point the phones to att's towers as they improve their service so that they don't have to use the existing towers that might be t-mobiles as I do know that they have an agreement to share towers....