Carrier update !!

yaser1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Saudi Arabia
Hello, I've got an Iphone 3G updated to 4.0.1 and I did jailbreak it and unlock the network, but now when I open the Itunes I found a mandatory update for the carrier setting.

My question is if i update it will I lose the jailbreak and the network will lock again?

please help

Attachments

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
thats how they trick you but there should not be a new update. unless one just came out 4.0.1 is the newest.

but anytime you do an update through iTunes you will lose your jailbreak and unlock so dont do it!

yaser1987

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Saudi Arabia
thats how they trick you but there should not be a new update. unless one just came out 4.0.1 is the newest.

but anytime you do an update through iTunes you will lose your jailbreak and unlock so dont do it!
ya i know but this its not a full update its a carrier that's why I was thinking of any one have done it!

especially when I turn on the Wi-Fi I lose the whole signal. :(

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Carrier updates don't usually affect the unlock. It's more updates to the APNs and such, not much else. Forgot what else gets updated with that...

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
well I shouldnt say that updating the carrier settings will directly affect the jb & unl but indirectly it can cause it did. I was restoring a phone a while back and the little window popped up saying that it needed to update the carrier settings so like an idiot I did it. well it was a trick cause it updated the firmware and then the phone could not be jailbroke or unlocked until the new jailbreak came out. it said nothing about updating the firmware but it did it! thats why I said it was a trick!

vladzaharia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
well I shouldnt say that updating the carrier settings will directly affect the jb & unl but indirectly it can cause it did. I was restoring a phone a while back and the little window popped up saying that it needed to update the carrier settings so like an idiot I did it. well it was a trick cause it updated the firmware and then the phone could not be jailbroke or unlocked until the new jailbreak came out. it said nothing about updating the firmware but it did it! thats why I said it was a trick!
Uhh... No. A Carrier Update does not contain any firmware. As was previously mentioned, all it contains is information about how to connect to the network properly (Things like APN, available phone options like call forwarding, call waiting, etc, extra information about towers). It's things that can't be provided by a SIM Card that helps automate some of the setup you would have had to do with other phones.

Because it doesn't contain any firmware, you can't lose a Jailbreak through it. If you think about it, it's impossible for it to contain any firmware since the updates are incredibly small, and firmwares are huge.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You got tricked/punked:)
Along with the carrier update you installed the new firmware too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.