Carrier updates all the time

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fillilutten, Aug 12, 2010.

1. fillilutten macrumors member

I've jailbroken my iPhone 4 with jailbreakme.com when it was released. Had no problems until a couple of days ago.
    Everytime I connect my iPhone to the computer i get a popup message where it says there is a new carrier update. I've tried updating that but it still comes up every time i connect. It even comes up on the phone from time to time.
    I've reseted the phone to and earlier backup and then it's all fine, so the jailbreak thing screw up something. But i don't want to go back to an old backup since I have a lot of photos and text messages that i want to keep.

Is there a way to solve this problem?
    And btw - I don't need jailbreak, just wanted to try it out but there was nothing that i can't do without jailbreak. And I'm on 4.0.2.

Thanks so much in advance for your help,
    fillilutten

2. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Well if you're on 4.0.2 you're no longer jail broken so this carrier thing should not come up. I am guessing you are not in the US, because I have nothing nor has it been reported.

3. fillilutten thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i know i'm not longer jailbroken but still it seems like some parts of that jailbreakme.com thingy is left since i didn't have this problems before i jailbreaked the phone.
    And yes, i'm from Sweden but the phone is legit unlock from Apple store in france.

4. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

5. fillilutten thread starter macrumors member

But then I lose all of my images and text messages. I don't want to do that. I've found some app to extract the iOS files. So now I got the sms.db file and the photos but don't know how to get that on a fresh restored iphone...

6. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

No you won't, backup the phone, Restore Firmware and then restore from backup.

7. fillilutten thread starter macrumors member

Ah, now I see what you mean. Tried that but there's something in that backup that's wrong, so when restoring the problem is coming back. And for some reason I've only got a backup från 27 juli and yesterday. Which i don't understand since i backup and sync my phone every single day.

8. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

OP the reason you keep seeing carrier updates is because of a bug in the initial release of jailbreakme.com that messed up the network settings permissions. The phone will keep trying to apply the new carrier settings and fail. If you want to keep your current data the best option would be to jailbreak again, then restore from the backup. A bit longwinded but it'll fix it.

9. fillilutten thread starter macrumors member

Ah okey, thanks alot! I did a ALT-click on the Restore button and chosed the 4.0.1 firmware, it's now under way. And I then go into jailbreakme.com and jailbreak the phone as I did it the first time?

10. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Yes that's fine. Then make a backup after you've jailbroken and run Cydia. You can then restore and put that backup back on if you want to get rid of the jailbreak

11. fillilutten thread starter macrumors member

Damn! It didn't work, the message still comes up :(
    I guess the backup is corrupt and the new jailbreak hasn't overwritten that problem, strange!

12. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Did you open Cydia and install the 'base structure' update?

13. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I did not think it was related to jailbreakme.com. I have been getting this since I was JB with Spirit and unlocked with ultrasn0w. I assumed it was due to the fact that I use T-Mobile with a phone that was originally locked to ATT, since it only occurs when I plug into the computer I just ignore it.

I think your problem maybe related to the fact that the carrier you are using is different to the one that supplied the phone. Itunes is suppose to update the carrier settings but perhaps that is not working as it should.

14. fillilutten thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answer. But my phone is legit unlocked, bought sim free from Apple store in france. So then it can't be that, right? :(

Tried this fix but didn't do anyting - http://www.ievolution.ca/iphone/fix-for-the-facetimemms-jailbreakme-issue/

15. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Hmmm I'm not sure why the fix isn't taking. If you know how to use SSH you can try fixing the permissions manually as mentioned in the article. But the 'base structure' update should have fixed that.

16. fillilutten thread starter macrumors member

So I did, and the permissions where right. They were already set to 755 when i looked.

17. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Perhaps the permissions didn't propagate through all the files in the folder. Otherwise I have no idea what the problem could be, I can't think of anything else it could be. You could try a restore and set phone up as new and see if the problem still persists

18. fillilutten thread starter macrumors member

I did the carrier update and restarted the phone and now it seems to be working perfectly! Stupid of me not to do the carrier update but when looking at the "About" page it was right Carrier version all the time, so well i just thought if the message appear the problem is still there.

Thanks sooo much for all your fast replies and help, appreciate it a lot!

19. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Good to hear it's sorted. I had the same problem when I first jailbroke my phone.